First AG: Baby Funk Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliprose

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, made my first all-grain batch (Pale Ale) in my newly made mash tun with ss braid and batch sparged. All things considered it went pretty well. I missed my temperature so I had to add some hot water during the mash that thinned it more than I'd have liked and my sparge water could have been hotter, but I got around 66% efficiency per BrewSmith. To compensate I added some DME to get my OG where it should have been. All in all, easier than I expected.

After brewing, I pitched my rehydrated Safale-05 in the brew bucket. I turned around to wash something, heard a few splashes and looked over to see my one year old daughter in the ale pale splashing around up to her elbows. Ugh. Anyone with small children know how sanititary those hands must be. Why didn't I put the lid on the fermenter immediately? Lesson learned.

I sealed the lid for two weeks and yesterday I put it in the secondary. FG is lower than expected and it kind of tastes like crap compared to my prior extract batches, but it appears drinkable. Now I don't know if the bad taste is from baby funk, a bad recipe, or screwing up the AG brewing. I added a few dry hops, less than planned to conserve due to the funk up, and I plan on bottling it anyway.

I figure my baby funk ale will probably still taste better than most macrobrews.

Second AllGrain in the primary now.

I can so relate...my 2 year old likes to play with the airlock. Her tooth brush fit nicely in the gromet. Ugh!

I don't mean to be preachy, but buckets of liquid are a huge drowning hazard for toddlers.

You were obviously close enough to hear you little one splashing around in the bucket, so I'm sure you were keeping a close eye on it, but based on past experiences of friends, I would feel bad if I let this post go without saying something.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox.

I usually let the 4 year old clean off hardy equipment with a soft brush and a waterhose in the summer. She's a pretty good helper, and there is plenty to clean after flameout to keep her busy until I'm done pitching.

Thanks for pointing that out, BeerAg. You're right, buckets of liquid around toddlers is a real drowning hazard - they even put big warnings on the sides of the buckets because of this. Anyone with children around should be reminded of this repeatedly.

I was within 3 feet of the pail when the splashing incident happened, but it only takes a few seconds to drown. One more reason to keep a lid on it.

Back