First AG attempt gravity a bit high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I attempted a biab all grain batch a few weeks ago that surprised me by going really really slowly. Today it had negative pressure in the airlock so I moved it to a secondary taking a bit of the trub with it. It's now got possitive pressure again but not much so i will leave it another while and see if it changes but the SG at racking was 1.02, the recipe I followed said to expect 1.009. Anyone have any advice other than to just leave it be for a bit, it is safe to bottle it at such a high SG?

I would not bottle at 1.020. Have you considered making a starter and repitching yeast?

It could have stopped at 1.020 for a variety of reasons. One, a higher mash temp. What was your mash temp? Another cause could be a lower attenuating yeast, and yet another cause could be the recipe itself.

If you can post the recipe, mash temp, and the yeast strain used, we can help figure out if this is "normal" or not!

Ok ill do my best I'm using my phone to post! I followed the recipe for Reapers ale near the top of the English brown ale section. I scaled it down for one imp gallon. Not knowing how much water would boil off I didn't use enough water for the sparge and had to add more water before pitching. Temp wise for the mash I kept it at above 142 and below the recommended temp... I think it was 154, there was only one point when it went above this that I know of and wasn't higher for long. For the sparge I got it to 170 I think before sticking the grain bag in and tea bagging it. Yeast was nottingham, rehydrated but only for 10 mins rather than the recommended 15. Started fermenting in fridge at 16.5c, but when it was clearly going slower than expected slowely bought it back up until I ended up leaving it at room temp at 20c or so.

I'm going to take another gravity reading tonight to see if it has moved at all. If it hasn't should I go about adding more yeast? If only to ensure that I get some carbonation after bottling? theres been no visible signs since my last post though I'll no fir sure tonight...

Ok, so I've got home, SG hasn't changed. Re hydrated some nottingham from the same pack, with some nutrient and a bit of dextrose. 20 mins and not the slightest movement. It's my only pack of notty so now doing the same with some Munich I already had open. Not ideal but hopefully its more awake than the notty!

Edit: oh! Left it for an hour and a half and there is a small amount of activity in both!

Back