First 5 Gallon Brew - How Many/What Size Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squad83

Reaction score
I am looking to move up to a 5 gallon batch and was wondering what and how many size pots would I need to do so? I am going to doing this on a stove top and am looking to do a recipe I got off of this site (Strawberry Alarm Clock) - the water size stats are:

Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.81 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.20 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Sparge with 2.64 gallons 168.0 F water.

Should I got with 2 pots 1. (12.81+8.20qt (5.25 Gallon)) and the 2. 2.64 gallon? Or is there an easier way?

You'll need atleast a 7 gallon kettle to boil the full volume in, something to mash your grains in, and a second kettle or bucket for sparge water

A cheaper alternative is a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid made into a mash tun. Boil several pots of water on the stove at the same time. Follow the mash in and sparge quantities and dump to a 10 gallon boil pot for the boil and hop additions. Then when done and chilled move it to a 6.5 gallon ferment pail and call it good. That will soften the hurt on your wallet but remember that the limiting factor is your ability to boil large quantities of water quickly. Once you can heat and boil the full quantity then look at replacing the mash tun with a stainless pot that can be directly fired if you need to maintain mash temp. It's a slow procees but you can still do it and accumulate better equipment as you go. Thats what I am doing now. It is cheaper that way by a good bit. And I can shop around for sales and maybe win one of those march pump they are giving away...
Bob

Or you can do full boil, no sparge BIAB (brew in a bag) with some voile fabric and a 30qt. turkey fryer, plus an ale pale.

Think that seems to be a little more convenient with the equipment I have at the moment, as well as $.

Just so I understand, I would do a normal brew cycle, but would combine the sparge water in with the original steepening water (12.81+8.20+2.64qts.) into one pot?

Im assuming the 1. full water amount would be boiled in a 32 qt pot 2. the grains added in a bag 3. normal steepening time of about 85 minutes (follow mash in/out temps) 4. pour once over the bag into the ale pale (quasi sparge) 5. transfer to the fermenter?

Thanks in advance, i've been trying to figure this one out with having to buy a ton of equipment.

85 minutes steeping? WOWZAS!!! that is far longer than you need to steep your grains. If you are hitting the 148-156 range of temps for mashing. you should have complete conversion in 30 min or less. A lot of people mash for 60 min. But 85 is excessive imo. Get an iodine test kit from you lhbs. and test you mash.

I'd also try to get the largest pot you can. (within reason) I had an 8 gallon pot I used to do 5 gal batches in and i often was risking boil overs. since you are doing this in your kitchen that could get messy. just a word of advice.

also since it is one the stove and not on fire, you could probably insulate your kettle and speed heating times as well as help with keeping a boil. water heater wrap works great, with a little spray glue and or velcro

Thanks - was thinking 8+ gallons as well.

Do the steps I described fit the process for cutting out the sparge step and doing a full boil?

Back