First 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecanadian

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to homebrewing and just finished fermenting my first 5 gallon batch. I took the lid off of my fermenter and noticed little balls floating up and down that look like eyes with a tail. There is also a thin clear film on the top. Are these things normal or did I ruin my batch? Thanks in advance for any input.

First off, welcome to the greatest addiction on earth! And you picked a great site to join, I've learned alot here. As for your question, a little more info would be helpful.how long did you ferment your beer? What was your OG and FG? And a picture of what you're describing would be helpful if you can post one.

Hello, I am new to homebrewing and just finished fermenting my first 5 gallon batch. I took the lid off of my fermenter and noticed little balls floating up and down that look like eyes with a tail. There is also a thin clear film on the top. Are these things normal or did I ruin my batch? Thanks in advance for any input.

Are you sure it's done fermenting? Maybe the krausen didn't drop yet.:mug:

Are you sure it's done fermenting? Maybe the krausen didn't drop yet.:mug:

I was also thinking it might be fermenting still because he said they are "floating up and down," but I could be wrong.

somecanadian, welcome to the site and the hobby! :mug:

How long did you ferment, and did you take a hydrometer reading (what was it?)?

Stuff floating in the beer is fairly normal. Could be krausen, hops, yeast stuff, etc. A picture would help (plus, I love looking at pictures of fermenting beer). :rockin:

I let it ferment for 2 weeks at 23dC/74dF. My kit did not come with a hydrometer but I picked one up from a local homebrew store today for my next batch.

IMG_0244.jpg

I concur, it's looking good.

You've had it going for 2 weeks, and you can let it sit another week or two to clear up some more. Congrats on your first! :mug:

I agree, it looks normal. that looks like yeast blobs. you should still use your hydrometer on this batch to make sure it's done. what style beer?

It was a generic draught LME can, thanks for the help everyone ill wait a little bit to bottle and condition and hopefully it comes out tasty! :)

Back