First 5 Gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
I finally made the step up from Mr. Beer recipes to a kit set up for me by my lhbs. I got myself a glass carboy, a recipe from the home brew shop, a new bottle of star san, the works. Got off of work today, and i am heading home to brew a 5 gallon batch for the first time. I'm more excited than when i brewed my first batch of beer, almost a year ago. Wish me luck.

Man you made it a year on Mr. Beer? You have some will power! Great way to start a weekend.
Good Luck,
:fro:

Mr. Beer taught me a lot. My beer has gone from watery, over or under carbonated junk, to a palatable, tasty, but still lacking that little something brew. So i decided to step it up. I am brewing an Irish red ale kit from my local homebrew store, got directions from them, used the yeast they said would go best. I'm looking forward to trying this beer in a couple of months.

Mr. Beer taught me a lot. My beer has gone from watery, over or under carbonated junk, to a palatable, tasty, but still lacking that little something brew. So i decided to step it up. I am brewing an Irish red ale kit from my local homebrew store, got directions from them, used the yeast they said would go best. I'm looking forward to trying this beer in a couple of months.

Uh oh, beware the slippery slope! But I fear it's too late for you my friend... Cheers! :mug:

I can't find out how slippery it is until i take that first step over the side. I just sanitized for over an hour and i have finally started steeping my grains in my brew pot. Loving every second of it so far. There is so much more to do with this kind of brewing, I already feel much more involved than i did with Mr. Beer.

Be sure to clean up GOOD. It turns out that SHMBO is always happy with my mood on brew days, me just not so much about her mood later. :rolleyes:

I have the house to myself tonight, which leaves me plenty of time to clean up before anyone else steps foot in the kitchen. I find that people complain more about the smell i create than the mess i leave behind. I guess that means my cleaning skills are up to snuff. Or else my family thinks that the smell is that much worse than the mess i make.

Mr beer is underrated. Many of us started out with that little fukin sweet tea jug. I did and now have a fairly elaborate 10 gal system and make enough good beer to supply a small party once a week! (and i have 4 kids unde 5) **** yeah dude! Just wait until you have the beer off of a5gal batch... Helll you r already hooked....start making space in the garage!!!you're gonna need a bigger boat!!! Awesome!

Back