First 5 gallon all-grain brew: some issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another smooth brew day. Just under 5hrs from start to finish (except that I still need to mop).

I think I've hit on the combination that will work best for me: two pots for the mash, a total end-of-boil volume of around 4 gallons, and some DME and cold water to top it up. I now know that I can push up to the full 5 gallons if there is a particular reason to, but I don't think I'll do that routinely.

The one issue is OG. I massively overshot again. 1.092 vs an expected one of 1.079. Beersmith says that this corresponds to an efficiency of 97.9%. Assuming that this is incorrect, any ideas what could be going on? My hydrometer measures plain water at 1.000 and my thermometer measures boiling water at 212F; should I do more testing or is that sufficient to be confident in them? Is there any chance I've set Beersmith to work in UK gallons while I'm doing it in US ones, or other similarly stupid mistakes?

When are you taking your gravity reading? Before or after adding DME/water to top up? BIAB brewers can get some very high efficiency, but I don't think I've ever heard that high.

For most extract brewers the routine is to add 2 gallons of water and the extract, then when the boil is over they top off with water to get to the proper volume. There is no reason you cannot do the same with all grain. It isn't often mentioned because with the conventional mash tun the mash efficiency isn't particularly high making this less desireable. However, with BIAB the mash efficiency can be very high (maybe not the 97% that Beersmith shows you having, a slight mis-measurent of volumes can throw that off when approaching the high limits) so you can make your wort and then dilute it to the expected amount of wort/expected OG. I've learned to reduce the grains because my efficiency is in the low 90's. You have proven that you do not need to add extract to get your expected OG.

Wasn't malting my own barley in the oven though, that's just crazy braconniere!

actually, i use the king size bathtub for malting....:D

Is there any chance I've set Beersmith to work in UK gallons while I'm doing it in US ones, or other similarly stupid mistakes?

Not sure if it matters, but there's a checkbox for "Add after Boil" for things like DME, sucrose.....

I didn't see that checkbox, but I worked out how to have it added at the last minute of the boil. It changed the IBUs but not the efficiency.

That's good to hear RM-NM. I entered the best bitter that I made last time and that overshot too, but less so. Efficiency of 83%. So it seems possible that my efficiency is around 85-90% and that I'm messing little stuff up in measurement or elsewhere. Given that, I think that next time I'm aiming for a 5-gallon all-grain I'll do as you suggest and top off with water, having got as much volume as I can without much messing about (probably around 4 gallons or so).

I'm enjoying having a good burst of brewing, but it makes the correcting due to direct feedback harder. The bottled batch that'll be ready to test for the first time tomorrow was 7 brews ago! And those in their prime are further back still. Ah well, there are worse problems to have. :)

Closing in on a year later...

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to drop in and say thank you again to everyone who helped me here. This thread made a massive difference in my return to brewing and without it I wouldn't be brewing nearly as much or as well as otherwise.

I went a long time without much time here on the forum because I had a good set-up, which is pretty much how it ended in the thread. A three and a four gallon pot, BIAB in both simultaneously, some dunk-sparging to get the volume up and I can do five gallon all-grain batches quite comfortably now, especially of the lowish ABV british ales I've ended up brewing most. I also do three gallon all-grain for some stronger beers, and occasional partial mashes as well.

In the current lockdown I'm brewing at least once, and usually twice, a week.

Perhaps oddly, it's @bracconiere's tip about cleaning products that was the single most useful one. Not what I came for, but I'm not sure I'd still be brewing without that solution! But thanks to everyone!

Back