First 1 gallon batch of fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbil

Reaction score
I am planning on making my first 1 gallon batch of strawberry wine. I have been reading as much as I can so I don't make any mistakes, or at least keep them to a minimum, but still have a question. I was curious what would I top up a strawberry fruit wine with? Is it essential to top up or in a 1 gallon carboy is it not noticeable. Any info would be great!
-Bill

Topping off is important - you want to keep the o2 exposure to a minimum.
In primary - no top off is needed co2 will displace, and o2 will be fermented out.

in secondary.
1. Use 'good' water... but this waters down the wine.
2. use a wine to top off
3. use marbles to raise the water level and displace the wine - this could take a few marbles.

I second those rec's. If The one gal is the primary you may want a little space for action. The co2 will push out any o2. I do those same rec's on the secondary

I had filled my glass carboy (secondary) and had a little left over which I put into another glass carboy. However there is a lot of head space in the over flow carboy... Can I still use this as top off to the original or will the excess oxygen (since its not even a half full 1 gallon jug) be bad for it. Thanks again for all your help!
-Bill

A friend of mine had suggested (but I have yet to try it) to top off with water/crystal light, to add tot he flavor. I made a 1g strawberry from a frozen fruit recipe end of last year. Wife and I tried a bottle over the weekend and it was good, but needed more flavor...this is where the crystal light may have come into play. Just a thought.

Back