Finally took the plunge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevokie

Reaction score
Well, I finally took the plunge and decided to buy a brewing kit. I ordered the Groupon kit from Midwest brewing supply. I ordered the Autumn Amber Ale with it. I'm excited to say the least...very excited. The only thing I will need is a large pot to brew in, which i will go buy when the other stuff gets to the house. Would anyone have any suggestions that I do with the first brew? Such as, I know that I probably need to purchase a different yeast and that's not a problem. Anyways, I just can't wait to brew and drink my first beer from it....patience is a virtue. :mug:

Well, maybe that was a bad example. I've seen, or maybe I think I have seen a lot of posts on here that suggest trading out the yeasts in kits as you never know how old the yeast is in the kits. I may be wrong though?

I did the same about 2 mos ago and got the Irish red ale kit. Brewed it just like they said but use a 5 gal water bottle for a secondary fermentor. Used the supplied yeast. Turned out great. Just brewed my third beer yesterday, all grain. Fun fun fun

Curt

kev,

Check around with friends and relatives for a canning kettle. That is what I have used to do partial boils for over a year and a half. Works great.

NRS

The only time You need to purchase yeast is if you know that it is old and if your in doubt use some yeast nutrient and it will take right off. I just did the autumn amber ale from Midwest on Saturday and it took right off with the yeast that came with it ( us-05 ). Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

The pre-canned kits are the ones you need to worry about in terms of yeast. Places like Midwest will most likely (if they are running things properly) throw the yeast in from their current stock, rather than package a kit with yeast that'll be sitting for an undetermined amount of time.

A friend of mine just brewed with the Midwest Groupon starter kit -- he needed a big spoon and a thermometer, neither of which came with his kit. You might want to make sure you have those things handy.

Midwest gives you choices of yeast for their kits, their kits in store don't have yeast packaged in them, you have to grab the yeast separately. When they grab a kit off the shelf for shipping they grab the yeast the buyer specified, or the dry option if the customer didn't specify. Long story short, the yeast should be fresh.

Relax, don't panic, sanitize properly, and you'll probably be fine. Kits are very easy to make and rewarding the first few times, so just follow your instructions and take it easy :)

You gotta watch out for the yeast in the canned kits. You know, the kits that are a single can of pre-hopped wort and you add sugar to it? That yeast is possibly WAY old.

Kits from one of the online places is going to be pretty good. They all seem to do a good j0ob of selecting the proper yeast and packing it fresh.

Alright, thanks for the info guys, very helpful. It is very much appreciated!

Back