Finally Got Results from First Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a decent score. Mainly look at what the feedback is and what inconsistencies between the score sheets to improve on. Really category 23A of specialty beers is a tough category to judge as it lends itself to experimentation and judging interpretation of what constitutes good. IMO one of the hardest categories to compete in next to fruit beers, yeah I said it fruit beers is a tough category to compete and judge. I look at comp sheets as improvement devices. I do not though take one comp and base it solely on that, but a few and advice from some sage judges I respect. But if all three or four judges say too roasty I take that into consideration or whatever the comment is, that weighs a heavier value to me than a number or a scorecard.

Nice job and keep working on it.

I took 3rd in a competition out of Winchester VA with a score 32 (and actually tied 2nd place...but lost in to tie-breaker). It's more important to know where you lost points so you can critique your recipe and take 1st the next time around :)

Congrats on entering a competition! I think it's something every homebrewer should experience.

Makes me wish I didn't have to wait past the due date for that German beer comp in Texas by the 31st with V1 of my dampfbier. But I reworked the recipe just now to get it as close as we can with what German malts, yeasts, etc are available over here. 38th anniversary today too. got a small turkey thawing in the oven for dinner. Pretty good score. I hope when I perfect this recipe that it does at least as well. It'll be my first as well.

32 is good. In pretty much any competition, scoring over 30 means you've got a pretty decent beer.

One point, though... Consistency is not common between competitions regarding scores. Some judges have a higher or lower "baseline" than others, when it comes to scoring. Thus, the same beer judged as the exact same quality could score a 33 in one comp and a 39 in another, and be equally likely of placing in each.

So it's tough to judge on numbers alone. It's better to base on the comments (which are hopefully constructive -- a lot of inconsistency with judges there as well), and to enter multiple competitions to get as much feedback as possible.

I've had a beer get runner up BOS with a score in the low 40s in one competition, the same beer scores a 28 in another. They were both bottled from my beer gun side by side.

I'm quite choosey over which competitions I send to these days. Usually the lower scores are from non-BJCP judges. Conventional wisdom to start with smaller local competitions before moving to larger regional ones is flawed, IMO. I know that sucks, since the small competitions are the ones who need the help, but I'm not paying $7 for an entry, $10 for postage and losing two bottles of beer just out of the kindness of my heart. It's a competition; I want to win and I expect high-quality officiating.

I always do better at larger comps.

Sorry for the rant.

I've had a beer get runner up BOS with a score in the low 40s in one competition, the same beer scores a 28 in another. They were both bottled from my beer gun side by side.

Same thing happened to me, but not quite so extreme. My 32/50 also received a 26/50. Disappointing, but something to keep in mind is that it's YOUR beer. If you like the taste of it, you've got a winner. Judges are great for critiquing a recipe, but your pallet is still the final judge.

Back