Finally, brewers to be legal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that, I've been brewing for about 10 years and wasn't aware it was not legal until the legislature took up the subject.

Progress, finally! If this gets signed into law, I think that means only one state to work on next.

A few years ago, I never thought that Utah would ok homebrewing but it surprised me that they legalized it before MS.

I realize that the law will only allow homebrewing where alcohol is legal. I'm not familiar with MS, but I know in much of the south that there are plenty of dry counties. Is this true of MS as well?

Progress, finally! If this gets signed into law, I think that means only one state to work on next.

A few years ago, I never thought that Utah would ok homebrewing but it surprised me that they legalized it before MS.

I realize that the law will only allow homebrewing where alcohol is legal. I'm not familiar with MS, but I know in much of the south that there are plenty of dry counties. Is this true of MS as well?

There are several, and even more towns that are dry when the county is wet, or towns that are wet, when the county is dry.

And the bill doesn't allow taking your beer to a friends house for a party or dinner, etc.

You do realize, that CA doesn't allow that either don't you? Or do you just want to knock on someone without knowing the facts about your own state?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/california

Any beer manufactured pursuant to this section may be removed from the premises where manufactured for use in competition at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, including homemakers' contests, tastings, or judgings.

Notice there is nothing in there about a friends house, dinner party, etc

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/california

Any beer manufactured pursuant to this section may be removed from the premises where manufactured for use in competition at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, including homemakers' contests, tastings, or judgings.

Notice there is nothing in there about a friends house, dinner party, etc

"Hey guys. I'd like to have a beer tasting at your house. I am bringing homebrew to be tasted."

Bam. There you go. Legal. :rolleyes:

JeepDiver said:
You do realize, that CA doesn't allow that either don't you? Or do you just want to knock on someone without knowing the facts about your own state?

Dude - crack open a brew and step down a notch. Yes I'm aware of that and I wasn't knocking the OP or making some claim that CA has a better law - I'd like to see that loosened here too. Give me a break - two posts calling me out because I pointed out a limitation?

I thought Carter legalized home brewing during his term 30+ years ago. Am I wrong?

At a federal level. But states still have the right to not allow it. I think only two states are still holdouts- AL and MS.

Even so, there are some bizarre state laws (like the one quoted above) where "home"brew is not to be consumed outside of the home. so, you can't take it to your cabin or out on your boat, or over to the neighbor's to share.

In some states, it's allowed but only up to 50 gallons per year. In some states, you're not allowed to give any away- but in some states you can gift 10 gallons per year to a person.

Check the laws in your own state to make sure you're aware of the laws in your area. The AHA has great links to the current regulations in each state.

At a federal level. But states still have the right to not allow it. .

So.... Federal law overrides state laws when state law ALLOWS something (ie.... marijuana).

But, State law overrides Federal law when state law PREVENTS something (ie.... brewing beer).

????

So.... Federal law overrides state laws when state law ALLOWS something (ie.... marijuana).

But, State law overrides Federal law when state law PREVENTS something (ie.... brewing beer).

????

Well, yes, if you put it that way!

States can't give MORE than the federal law alllows, but they can restrict to less.

As was mentioned, there are plenty of states that have dry counties, or dry cities, where you can't even purchase alcohol. That's a local law, not federal.

????

When you get down to it, laws are to restrict what can be done. If it's not restricted, it's legal. Therefore, states can be more restrictive, because it's not in conflict with federal law, it's just above and beyond the restrictions of federal law.

Back