Finally, after 2 years it's built! My Automated EBrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
I spent a couple years buying/selling homebrew gear. I'd buy large packages of equipment, keep what I wanted then resell the rest. It allowed me to obtain a lot of high-end gear for free, and most times making a profit. I'd use the profit to buy the gear or hardware needed.

I spent months sourcing all the parts to build the control panel, but everything sat in a box collecting dust for 2, maybe 3 years.

I finally got it operational! I still have a few things to do, but I got a lot of wedding beer to make.

I scored a bunch of 80/20 aluminum on Craigslist for next to nothing, so I used it for my stand. The brackets cost a lot, so I made my own for about $20-30 in material for all of them.

They're 20gal Blichmann Boilermakers with 5500watt Boilcoils and a 4000watt rims rocket. I have two therminator plate chillers in tandem, but they're not in the photos. There are two SS center inlet march pumps and the ultimate sparge arm. It's all controlled by a 50a BCS 462 controller.

Also in an effort to keep cost down, I built the temp probes myself.

I'm currently running it on 30a, but the panel is wired for 50a. I need to upgrade my main service line so I can get 200a vs the 60a I'm currently getting.

I really wanted something compact, so I crammed a lot into that small box. I am adding more XLR plugs for more temp probes plus float switches:

IMG_0828.jpg

I need some more components to finish the panel 100%, so I pre wired for them and future expansion. That's what the extra loose wires are for:

IMG_1046.jpg

I made the brackets from 2" L channel aluminum. I made large ones with two slots and smaller ones for single slot plus I'll be making some brackets that I can attach to the T channel to hang lids, hoses, etc:

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Here's some of the hardware. I'm using SS quick disconnects and high temp hoses. Eventually I may hard plumb:

IMG_1057.jpg

After cutting the 80/20 and brackets, I assembled the frame. You can see the therminator plate chillers in the background:

IMG_1056.jpg

It was nerve wracking installing the boil coils in the pots. First, I didn't want to install them per the instructions, so I was concerned I'd screw something up on placement. I wanted the plugs towards the back. Plus, the last thing I want is to ruin these expensive pots. I used a 5/8 greenlee hole punch. It was fast, easy and did a perfect job:

IMG_1145.jpg

The mash tun maintains the temp via the Rim Rocket since a coil can't fit with the false bottom:

IMG_1060.jpg

Here it is with out the hoses. I did change the location of the rims rocket to the upper shelf. I'll be making a few more tweaks as I get aquatinted with it:

IMG_1059.jpg

I have all the other gear but will need to finish once I'm done brewing for the wedding:

1. Install the fail safe stuff like float switches and flow switch to save the elements and pumps from damage
  2. Properly mount the tandem plate chillers along with the pure oxygen inline aerator
  3. Make and install more temp probes
  4. Install the grant (I decided to add one for if/when I want to fly sparge or when using adjuncts such as gelatinous rise or corn meal. I don't want a stuck sparge)
  5. Install the Hop Rocket (I have both the Hop and Rims Rocket)
  6. I'm going to add some 3 way valves to avoid the need to swap hoses
  7. I need to attach the control panel to the stand and mount my touch screen (old IPad)
  8. Install a whirlpool arm and return/recirculating ports

I did a dry run last night and couldn't be happier. Now it's time to brew.

I made my own temp probes, to save money. Here's an example:

IMG_1047.jpg

I originally planned to have the BCS control my fermentation chamber, and I still might. But I hard wired an STC1000 + in to it for now:

IMG_0783.jpg

And here's my other current project, it'll be the Brew Barn. It'll be our backyard pub/brewery. I am also in the process of making a Keezer. It'll live in the Brew Barn. I got a specific model freezer that accepts 4 of my 10 gal corny kegs with the 20lb CO2 and an 80lb beer has/Nitro tank and a smaller keg all with out a collar. I'm planning for 4, maybe 5 taps, one being a Nitro.

IMG_0789.jpg

Wow a couple big projects all at once, it will be nice to enjoy a homebrew out in the brew barn when its all done.:mug:

Wow a couple big projects all at once, it will be nice to enjoy a homebrew out in the brew barn when its all done.:mug:

Ya, I tend to wear myself out by doing so much at once. I'm also getting married in about 3 weeks with a lot more on my plate and no time.

I brewed on the system last night. It's pretty amazing the difference having automated assistance is. But, it's not with out its own pit falls. I'll hopefully get them ironed out.

Everything was going really good at first but then I had nothing but issues with the pump and chillers during the boil. I think it was a number of things causing the problem.

However, It got the strike water to temp fast, transferred perfectly, circulated from the tun through the rims perfectly. I mashed in hitting my temp and it maintained the temp very well. I'm beyond happy with the performance, for the most part. I may need to modify some of my techniques to avoid some issues.

It was a first run, so I wasn't expecting perfection. There will be some tweaks made and I need a hop filter. I think I clogged my plate chillers and pumps with leaf hops. I got ahead of myself and forgot to filter before cycling, oops. It also seemed like I almost got a stuck sparge.

I'm going to make a few changes later tonight and try again. I expect the next go to be a bit smoother.

Wow. I'm sure there are many people on here that can relate with the work load it takes to accomplish that.

That's why we are here! Great job! Good luck on the wedding. Finding the right guy/gal is the hard part.

Wow. Very nice work! I'd love to design atleast a semi automated brewery someday.

Very nice what are you using for the foundation of your barn? I was looking into possibly buying a tuff shed but for the cost I could probobly build something much nicer.

Back