Final gravity below 1.010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thyirishmen

Reaction score
So I brewed up a Irish red with a OG of 1.058 and was supposed to end around 1.010. It had some pale malt cararoma and melanodian. Also 1 lb of honey at flame out.

I had a started of wyeast 1056 and had 130% roughfully of what I needed based on starter Calc.

My recipe was made in beer tools and set with 77% attenuation which is 1058 high from their site.
Mash was 151 and I do bath sparge.

It was brewed on 6/22 and I have been using my tilt to track the gravity and confirmed with my hydro it was 1.058. Now 4 days later the tilt is showing 1.008 gravity. It has been fermenting at 65 using brewpi/fermentrack and holding to 65.01 degrees.

All my equipment is SS and I'm very meticulous in my cleaning and using pbw and star San. I don't believe it's infected its in SS brew bucket so I can see inside. I have not opened it since pitching the yeast.

Now beertools said that my attenuation is 87% based on these gravity and I don't see how it's possible without an infection eating it down too. Unless the 1lb of honey did not factor in the recipe in beertools since it's highly fermentable.

Your Tilt is probably wrong. Mine always reads low for FG. Check it with a hydrometer. Also, make sure to add in the calibration points on the Tilt when you get a hydrometer reading.

And confirm your hydrometer in distilled water, and your Tilt too while you are at it.

Your Tilt is probably wrong. Mine always reads low for FG. Check it with a hydrometer. Also, make sure to add in the calibration points on the Tilt when you get a hydrometer reading.

And confirm your hydrometer in distilled water, and your Tilt too while you are at it.
I have confirmed the hydro in distilled water at 60 or 65 whatever mine says and it was 1.000

1056 can chew through a beer, 80% AA pretty easily. Add your 100% fermentable honey and you're in the ballpark.

I don't trust anything but a precision hydrometer for a final gravity measurements.

I will confirm it with my hydro too I just wanted to see with 1056 if this is possible with honey too or if it's definatly not and either wrong gravity readings or infection.

I regularly make a ~1.055-1.060 IPA that is about 97% 2-row and 3% of some crystal using US-05 (almost same strain). It usually clocks in at 85-88 AA%.

Getting below 1.010 with 1056 is pretty easy in my experience. It almost always overshoots the target FG. I recently mashed an IPA at 152° and it ended at exactly 1.010. Usually I mash that recipe at 149° and it ends up around 1.009 or 1.008.

I just went and check my Tilt's logs. My last FG was reported at 1.013 and the actual measured FG with a verified hydrometer was 1.020. I keep meaning to contact the Tilt people about it, and I try to remember to add calibration points, but it is what it is.

I have two tilts that always read within 1-2 points of what my hydrometer reads. I always check FG with the hydrometer, and use the tilts to see when gravity stops changing. Also the thermometer helps a lot with temperature control.

I have two tilts that always read within 1-2 points of what my hydrometer reads. I always check FG with the hydrometer, and use the tilts to see when gravity stops changing. Also the thermometer helps a lot with temperature control.
Yeah the tilt OG reading was same as my verified hydrometer. So maybe it's just the tilt that is off. I'll confirm with a sample to the hydro.

Yeah the tilt OG reading was same as my verified hydrometer. So maybe it's just the tilt that is off. I'll confirm with a sample to the hydro.
I mainly want the tilt for og and to verify if fermentation is done after a few days then I'll verify either way with hydro when kegging.

I believe that the tilt. Claims accuracy to within 1.002. So that would make it spot on.

I took the sample and i tasted it too and it does not taste bad at all. but now today it is at 1.004 i just cant figure out if its infected or something or if its really just the 1LB of honey and my ramped up 1056 chowing down. This is day 5 of fermentation.

Last edited:
I checked on it just to see since it's in SS brew bucket havent seen it
The clump to top right is the tilt.
20180627_182545.jpeg
20180627_182553.jpeg
20180627_182600.jpeg

Looks fine to me. I don't take too much stock in predicted numbers. That beer doesn't look infected to me.

Looks OK to me also. Though if the gravity continues to drop that is concerning. I guess at 5 days and that low is cause for some concern. But I would seal that back up and leave it alone for another 10 days.

so it has dropped down to 1.002 and has been this way for over a day and half. so it went from 1.058 to 1.006 in 4 days and in one day from 6 to 2 and now its been here for good so far. I took a sample and tested with my hydro and this tilt is correct and i had used distilled and 60* with my hydro too and its correct.

Maybe this yeast was a beast and all of the honey it just dropped so far. i tasted it and yes its dry and light, but has good flavor and so far no odd flavor and its still young. I will keep it on for a total of 14 days to see if it changes.

Attachments

• 2018-06-29 17_56_04-Dashboard.png
    2018-06-29 17_56_04-Dashboard.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 52
I have a porter that is currently ripping through it's sugar. I had an og of 1.050 and at day 4 it was 1.010. I opted to let it do it's thing and see where it ends up. I used a starter for the first time made with wl1007 and mashed a bit low at 138.
Eric

Latest posts

Back