Final Gravity Anomaly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I just brewed a Blonde Ale and bottled it today. The original gravity was 1.042. I only did primary fermentation on this one for 11 days. After basically the 8-9th day, fermentation basically had stopped. I check the specific gravity on day 9 and it was 1.012. I then gave it until the 11th day (today) to bottle it. I added 3/4 cup of priming sugar as usual and mixed it together. I then took a FG reading and read 1.014! I thought maybe I got a lot of sugar in that sample since it was the first sample drawn from the spigot, so I took another sample and measured 1.016. I have no clue what is going on with this and what my real final gravity is. Worse thing is now I've already bottled it and I'm worried about bottle explosions. I sampled the taste of the 1.016 sample and it was incredibly sweet, way too sweet for this style. Worried about this one. Anyone have any similar problems or know what might be going on ? I posted the recipe I used below in case that helps. Thanks.

Type: Extract
Date: 7/9/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 57.14 %
2.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 20 min] Extract 35.71 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.75 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.51 %
Bitterness: 17.7 IBU
Calories: 187 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.4 SRM

Notes

Steeped crystal malt in 2 gallons of water at 160 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes in two muslin bags. Added 4 lbs. malt extract and brought to a boil. Added 1 oz. of Williamette hops for 60 minutes. Added last 2.5 lbs. of malt extract with 20 minutes left in boil. At 15 minutes left, added Irish moss and placed wort chiller and strainer in pot for sterilization. Strained wort into 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket with 3 gallons of cold filtered water already in bucket. Shook and aerated. Waited for wort to cool and measured specific gravity and temperature. When temperature was approximately 85 degrees F, pitched yeast and shook up mixture to aerate. Covered bucket and filled airlock half with water. Covered bucket with towel and placed next to window air conditioning unit (Baltimore).

I am not good with the math (those with computer programs will chime in, I figure), but the measuring process is the issue.

Your final gravity was 1.012 on the 8th day, your recipe indicated an estimated FG at 1.011....for all practical purposes your FG was at or below 1.012. Then you added corn sugar, then you took a FG (and got 1.014)...no wonder....you added sugar. Then, you tasted it and worried that it was sweet...too sweet...again, no wonder....you added sugar. I personally do not think you have a couple cases of bombs.

I suggest to not worry, and have a home brew....the sugar will ferment out and carbonate, your beer will be as you hope in two or three weeks. I can detect sweetness in my carbonating beers until after a week or so....meaning the yeast hasn't finished (even though there is carbonation).

Next time, take your FG prior to adding corn sugar for bottling....and for piece of mind, take one after adding corn sugar....you will find a bump of a few points.

Bottling sugar tends to add about 2 points so you're all good.

RDWHAHB

*waits to see if he takes bait*

in addition to that 2 points of priming sugar to expect, it sounds too like the hydro was collecting some CO2 on the bulb, which can skew readings by raising the hydro up a little. A good hard spin usually dislodges these bubbles..usually.

Back