Filtration unit for escaping gases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Every one here is familiar with the gas that escapes from our containers as we ferment the wines. It seems the people who brew and ferment love the smell and those who don't can't stand it. My wife is one of the latter.

I am working on plans for a filtration unit that filters the air that is produced during fermentation and renders it odorless. I am thinking of a unit that multiple carboys can plug into that will "pass gas" over or through a substance, either liquid or solid based that will neutralize the smells coming from our carboys. It could even be a series of treated filters used for air filtration. I am toying with whatever works. Has anyone seen anything like this around?

Thanks,
Mark

Two options could be using the glade oil in your airlock as long as you are careful or somehow have it pass through baking powder. Another option is just have a few glade plug ins around it.

DO NOT PLACE GLADE OIL IN YOUR AIRLOCK!

that stuff is poisonous, it has to be. do not put anything in your airlock you wouldn't want to drink - minute amounts of it end up in your fermenter anyway. I use starsan water, works fine.

you could put the fermenter in a room with a plug in baking soda air purifier.

DO NOT PLACE GLADE OIL IN YOUR AIRLOCK!

that stuff is poisonous, it has to be. do not put anything in your airlock you wouldn't want to drink - minute amounts of it end up in your fermenter anyway. I use starsan water, works fine.

you could put the fermenter in a room with a plug in baking soda air purifier.

I wouldn't want to drink Star San water or cheap Vodka for that matter.

Your point is true, though. Don't put anything in there that's toxic, because it's very easy to get suck back into the beer.

How about getting a fermentation chamber (chest freezer with controller) for the laundry room, garage or back patio? Those hold fermentation smells in pretty well until you open them.

I might try the fabric softener trick first! Thanks folks! I'll post some pictures if I get it rigged up!

Back