Filtration to Help with moving kegs around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobish

Reaction score
I have two batches that i'm going to keg soon both are for a Several Night Music Festival, I'll be using my jocky box to chill the beers, but the kegs are going to get bumped around and moved. Last year the sediment was always getting stirred up so this year i'm going to try to filter them first.

My question is will a 5 Micron filter be enough to stop the bulk of the sediment or should i also try a 3 Micron filter?

Yeah, you don't need to filter. Build a jumper and transfer from one keg to the other.

I just bought a filter system just for that purpose. Even with doing the transfer, I stll had cloudy beer that tasted of yeast if I didn't serve the beer that day. Try the jumper method first, but unless you use the beer the same day, it will still may have crap in it.

I use gelatin or if you need to vegan/kosher friendly I have read that some brewers using agar.

I dissolve the gelatin in a cup of warm water put in keg and rack beer on top. chill and carb. Pull a pint off after settled and carbed then transfer to other keg as suggested above. My beers turn out crystal clear even after transporting using this process.

Back