filtration methds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIXIEBOY1

Reaction score
How do you filter your beer in order to get it crystal clear? Methods, tools used, etc....been thinking of getting an rv water filter and housing but not sure how.cost effective that would be.

I used two plate filters in series. First one with a coarse filter and the second with a fine filter. It worked as far as producing crystal clear beer. But man it was a PITA.

First, in order to not have my filtering session turn into a nightmare I needed relatively clear beer to begin with. Cold crashing was an absolute must. But even then sometimes the filters would clog and I'd have to pull them apart and add new filters, losing a considerable amount of beer in the process.

Ultimately I switched to using gelatin. I hesitated on the gelatin for a while because I didn't want to add gelatin to my beer. I'm definitely over that.

I picked up some clarity ferm once, sort of by mistake (asked clerk for fermcap-S, he gave me clarity ferm) and the beer I used it in was crystal clear, every bit as clear as using a plate filter.

Cold crash and time have resulted in clear beers for me, can't see why anyone would need to filter for clear beer and potentially strip out flavor.

Back