Filtering Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prenger745

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am asking for a friend. He is doing an IPA with hops added at:

60mins
20mins
10mins
5mins
0mins

He then cools the wort and then pours it into his primary (that has 3 gallons of clean water in it). He is wondering if he should be filtering out as much of that "stuff" while pouring it into the primary? Right now, he just pours the whole wort pot in, so all of the "leftovers" go in as well.

If he should filter, would he do it through cheese cloth? Does it need to be sanitized?

I've never done anything that "hoppy" and have always racked from the wort pot to my fermenter so it leaves behind a lot of stuff.

Thanks,
Danno

Tell your "friend" that trub actually helps to clear beer up. There are many ex-beer-ements on the interwebs about it. Trub or no trub, the end result is beer.

I like to reuse yeast, so I like to minimize the hops going into the fermenter.

He can get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag for a couple of dollars. Sanitize it and put it in the bucket and secure the top around the top of the bucket.

Proceed as normal, and lift the bag out after the wort is in the bucket.

Hello everyone.

I am asking for a friend. He is doing an IPA with hops added at:

60mins

20mins

10mins

5mins

0mins

He then cools the wort and then pours it into his primary (that has 3 gallons of clean water in it). He is wondering if he should be filtering out as much of that "stuff" while pouring it into the primary? Right now, he just pours the whole wort pot in, so all of the "leftovers" go in as well.

If he should filter, would he do it through cheese cloth? Does it need to be sanitized?

I've never done anything that "hoppy" and have always racked from the wort pot to my fermenter so it leaves behind a lot of stuff.

Thanks,

Danno

The Olde "asking for a friend trick" hey!?

One way to get some oxygen into your wort (pre-fermentation which is good, post fermentation is bad) is to pour the chilled wort through a sanitized strainer into your bucket which filters out the trub. I used to do this until I started using pure 02 now I pour everything into the primary. Some would say pouring through a strainer risks contamination and I can appreciate that though I never had an issue with it while I exercised the practice.
I would also suggest if using strainers that you keep a couple of them sanitized and ready when transferring or be ready to clean and re-sanitize if using a single because the hops will plug them up rather quickly.

I like to reuse yeast, so I like to minimize the hops going into the fermenter.

He can get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag for a couple of dollars. Sanitize it and put it in the bucket and secure the top around the top of the bucket.

Proceed as normal, and lift the bag out after the wort is in the bucket.

This....

Filtering adds another step. A strainer or paint bag adds another possible source of infection and something else to clean. What I do is use a muslin bag for each hop addition and then dump all the wort in the fermenter minus the muslin bags. The beer comes out clear.

Filter your wort? Don't do it!

It really doesn't matter- filter if you (he) wants. If you want to save the yeast (I often do), pour through a sanitized strainer. Or use hop bags in the boil. Some people will even do both, pour through a strainer as well as use hops bags.

It really doesn't matter, honestly.

Back