Filtering/Screening Before Plate Chiller - How do I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I just picked up a 30 plate chiller and would like feedback from experienced brewers who use plate chillers in their process.

What is the most effective way to "clean" the wort before pushing it through the place chiller?

Does a simple bazooka screen or some other inline filter work well enough to keep the chiller from becoming clogged.

I plan on using a hop bag to keep the pellet sludge off the bottom but need an effective way of keeping the gunk out of the chiller.

On to the chiller iteself, how easily do they clog? What size / type of debris clogs these enough to restrict flow?

Prior to the plate chiller, I ran my cooling wort through a metal coffee filter (gold tone) which was very effective. I now have to re-think the process.

I know this is old, but I'd like to know this as well. I am planning on picking up a plate chiller soon and want to make sure I don't clog it.

I mashed in a voile bag and hopped (during boil) in another fine mesh bag. There were zero dregs in the mash tun and little if any post boil from the hops.

Bags are the way to go.

i use a hop bag and have had great results with no problem. I also run all through the hop bag when transferring from the mash to the boil no solids in the boils

I think I am going to use hop bags.....and a kettle screen tube with woven mcmaster wire screen woven over it.....maybe zip tied so I could take it apart to clean easier, or a little of both.

Just back flush the Plate Chiller when you are done. I also place mine in a oven at 300F for about 20 mins the day before. I then back flush again when cool. The hot wort will kill any remaining nasties on brew day. There is very little surface area for bacteria to grow and I have not had a quality issue since I got my 40 plate chiller. I also think it is the single best investment I have made because it is SO easy to use.

hey beerman.......what model is yours. I am thinking about getting the dudediesel to save $100 from the therminator. unless someone can convince me why I shouldn't

hey beerman.......what model is yours. I am thinking about getting the dudediesel to save $100 from the therminator. unless someone can convince me why I shouldn't

I got mine from KegCowboy.com. They seem to run out fast, so you have to pre-order. I am really happy with mine. I am sure Duda Diesel is fine, too. You won't regret getting a Plate Chiller.

I use a 40 plate from KegCowboy on a gravity feed single tier system. I use hop bags and have no problems. I whirlpool and then kind of manuever the hop bags to the port and let them then act as a "filter" themselves....and then I really screw up everything probably when I mash those bags to get that last precious drop of good wort out :) :)
I have never had a clog in the 10 batches I've done with this (previously used immersion chiller).
I think storage is a big part...make sure you backflush and reflush the heck out of this to keep it clean. I hook up the garden hose and flush it both directions. I also drop it in a bucket of sterilizing solution prior to use and then put it in the freezer for an hour prior to using (warning...use gloves to handle) because it's 105 degrees here and I need every degree of help I can get to cool wort.

Back