Filter into primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
I read that someone ALWAYS filtered their wort when pouring into primary? I never do this. Am I missing a step? I always leave it to hopefully add more flavor....What do you do????

PS- Drinking a glass of cream ale I kegged last week....very nice head and very good. :rockin:

No need to filter. Some do, some don't, and in the end it's just a matter of preference. Even if you don't filter, if you let the beer sit long enough in primary and/or secondary all of the junk will fall out of suspension and you will get a clear beer. Obviously, if you strain most of it from the beginning that's even less material to drop out, thus leaving you equally clear beer, but it sometimes occurs faster. Since most homebrewers severely lack in the patience department, this can be a bonus.

Not sure about the whole adding more flavor part, but I'm sure there are believers out there.

Personally, I dump mine from the boil kettle through a big plastic strainer that fits perfectly over the mouth of a bucket. I do it more for aeration than anything, but the holes do stop some of the largest particles from going into the fermenter, which ends up being mostly hops.

I run mine through a chinois that gets out 99% of the hop schwag but I do it mostly to aerate as bozo said.
Given enough time all will settle and you won't have to worry about it.

Most of the haze in our homebrew comes from the yeast. Most of this can be removed by adding gelatin and cold crashing. I recently cleared a Hefe with this method as an experiment and to my surprise it came out crystal clear. An added bonus to using gelatin is that it is one hell of a lot easier than filtering.

I dont mind if my beer is a bit hazy, as long as it tastes good. I like having it look different than store bought beer.

Back