Film Like Substance! Normal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing Hop burst dream from northern brewer and have it in my glass carboy 2nd stage and i notice this slimy film around the walls of the carboy its not thick but just wondering if its normal. Hopefully when i rack it i will bring the temp way down so all the crud goes to the bottom and that slimy stuff will filter out as well!

Every yeast will do things a little differently. You may not have seen one do this before but it sounds normal and is called Krausen. It'll drop when the beer is about done fermenting.

I don't know- I'm usually pretty relaxed and optimistic, but slimy in the secondary sounds bad. I would probably rack sooner, rather than later, and hopefully prevent the infection from progressing. (It sounds like an infection. "Ropy" and "Slimy" aren't usual descriptions for normal looking beer)

I ve racked twice already to clear it up so im just gonna progress and see what happens. I used a strainer each time and cleaned the carboy, Also i tasted and smelled the beer and its pretty good. I will just let it sit for alittle longer and maybe rack it again
Thanks ~Steve~

Back