Filling in headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandercool724

Reaction score
I have 5 gallon carboys. they are exactly 5 gallons when I first started using them I made the beginner mistake of filling almost all the way to the top when I woke up the next moring there was foam and beer all over the kitchen. I realized i didnt leave enough headspace. since than I have began only filling about 4 1/2 gallons so there is adequate headspace and i dont end up with a mess and leave the airlock off till like day 3 when the major foaming has gone down.

My question is. can I just fill my carboy up with like 4 gallons of wort and add water to the carboy after the major foaming has gone down. this makes sense to me because the recipes are for 5 gallon batches. not 4 or could I add the remainder of water when I rack.

I guess there's technically anything wrong as long as you are using sanitary water to add later in the process. You have to understand how a lesser volume/more concentrated wort will affect other processes along the way though and how to adjust for them.

I'm not sure at what temperature you're fermenting, but cooler fermentation temps could result in less foaming and more controlled fermentations overall.

I pitched my yeast at like 62 degrees and it is just sitting in my kitchen at my apartment our heat isnt even on yet and I live in chicgao... I dont think t is related to temps. although I would not be able to get an accurate OG. i need 6 gal carboys

Back