Filling CO2 Cylinder at Dick's Sporting Goods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayFuller

Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum had their CO2 tank/cylinder filled at Dick's Sporting Goods? Did you need any sort of special adaptor to hook up to their equipment? I understand they fill cylinders for paint-ball guns. I have a standard 5# tank from MoreBeer.

They won't do it. Well...they wouldn't do it where I live at anyway. I called them, Academy Sports and several places and I learned really fast if you get the wrong person on the phone they will say "come on in" and when you get there they will be like "oh, yeah not that big of a tank"

I found a business about 35 mins away that sells kegs, which ended up being a win win b/c I get my tanks from them now and once in awhile I will also grab a commercial keg which before I didn't know where to get commercial kegs. Also, 30-45 mins might seem really far away but truthfully a 5# tank will last you quite awhile so your really not making the drive that often. Especially if you get a 5# backup tank so when it does go out you have ample time to go get the other one filled.

If you don't have a backup tank you will once you invite all of your friends over to try your newest best homebrew and your gas goes out and its 10pm on a Saturday.

I had my paint ball tanks (for beer) filled at Dick's and the price was 10 times that of the paintball place. 20 bucks for 24 ounces. I never will go back to that place.

I get my bigger tanks filled at a welding supply shop that has a tank the size of a house. It's about a buck a pound.

I had my paint ball tanks (for beer) filled at Dick's and the price was 10 times that of the paintball place. 20 bucks for 24 ounces. I never will go back to that place.

I get my bigger tanks filled at a welding supply shop that has a tank the size of a house. It's about a buck a pound.

Dick's website says $5 for 24 oz fill.

I would be leery of filling from a paintball CO2 supply. Sometimes the paintball CO2 has oil in it to help lube the gun/marker, not really something you want in your beer.

Fire extinguisher company (better) or a welding supply. If you look at the setup at your sporting goods store they fill from like a 50 pound tank with a dip tube... a real gas supplier will have a semi truck sized tank out behind the place....

This is your answer.

There are current relevant discussions going on regarding CO2 fills on the following threads which you may find informative, infuriating, or both:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=589239

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=590418

I would be leery of filling from a paintball CO2 supply. Sometimes the paintball CO2 has oil in it to help lube the gun/marker, not really something you want in your beer.

The local paintball shop has several 50 pound tanks form the same welding supply shop I have fill my bigger tanks. I've used enough of it to know it's good.

This seems to get mentioned a lot in brewing forums, but I can never find any verified proof that this is the case.

Proper maintenance of a paintball gun involves cleaning and oiling it, but nowhere on any paintball forum or website do have I ever seen it mentioned that this oil can come from the co2.

Even if there is oil in the tank, how would gaseous co2 leaving the tank carry any oil with it?

This seems to get mentioned a lot in brewing forums, but I can never find any verified proof that this is the case.

Proper maintenance of a paintball gun involves cleaning and oiling it, but nowhere on any paintball forum or website do have I ever seen it mentioned that this oil can come from the co2.

Even if there is oil in the tank, how would gaseous co2 leaving the tank carry any oil with it?

No clue, just going off of what Ive read. Even if its not true, there seems to be a large consensus which (even though its the interwebs) is enough to persuade me to try other options

No clue, just going off of what Ive read. Even if its not true, there seems to be a large consensus which (even though its the interwebs) is enough to persuade me to try other options

Not the case at all - used to order all the gases for the fields I worked for/managed just straight CO2 - never even heard of adding oil to CO2; not even sure it'd work at all.

Slightly off topic, I have played paintball for over 10 years and own 5 guns, at no point has oil ever been put into Co2 to "lube" the gun. I have to strip mine down once a year and lube them.

As far as Dicks goes they won't fill them, I get mine exchanged from Airgas, look them up they are all over and reasonably priced. I think I paid $20 for my last exchange.

Back