Filling bottles part way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to fill a bottle under its capacity? For example, filling a 12oz with only 4oz of beer. Will it be too much oxygen?

Some folks when bottling have had a few ounces left in their bucket and put it in a bottle and capped it, and have reported that that bottle has exploded. It's been posted on here several times from different folks, so I think there is something to it. I think that too much headspace can somehow cause too much co2 to fill it, and rather than forcing it back into solution seeks out any flaws in the bottle in that area and blows the bottle.

So I wouldn't do it on purpose. I usually drink that last little bit, when I realize I might be trying to cap a bottle with too much headspace.

What Rev and Walker are saying makes sense, but I have not had one blow up. When I came to the last bit and it only filled up 1/2 a bottle or whatever, I would set it aside and it would be the one I would taste test at the 2 week mark....not wasting a whole bottle by drinking it green, but I had a chance to see where it was.

Good Luck!

What Rev and Walker are saying makes sense, but I have not had one blow up. When I came to the last bit and it only filled up 1/2 a bottle or whatever, I would set it aside and it would be the one I would taste test at the 2 week mark....not wasting a whole bottle by drinking it green, but I had a chance to see where it was.

Good Luck!

+1, haven't had any trouble with it either, but I haven't/wouldn't use it for anything beyond an early carb/taste check.

I know this is an old thread, but in my last 3-4 batches I have had one last bottle only filled about 80% full. On all accounts, this bottle has been the best/most carbonated, retaining the best head and having the most bubbles throughout the glass as I drink it.

Might it be a good idea to fill all of my bottles to about 80-85% instead of all the way up to get better carbonation? I've never had one explode or even a geyser/gusher.

I use 22oz glass bottles with regular crown caps.

Back