Figuring how much yeast to harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I think this is a stupid question, but I made a yeast starter and made it 500ml bigger than it needed to be so I could just pour out the extra 500ml into a canning jar to store yeast for the next batch.

Am I correct in assuming that I will be taking roughly the difference YeastCalc says is from a 1L starter to the 1.5L starter and putting it in the storage jar?

For instance if the 1L amount says I will have 207 billion cells and the 1.5L amount says I will have 278 billion cells then I will harvest 71 billion for future use?

Thanks

So I think this is a stupid question, but I made a yeast starter and made it 500ml bigger than it needed to be so I could just pour out the extra 500ml into a canning jar to store yeast for the next batch.

Am I correct in assuming that I will be taking roughly the difference YeastCalc says is from a 1L starter to the 1.5L starter and putting it in the storage jar?

For instance if the 1L amount says I will have 207 billion cells and the 1.5L amount says I will have 278 billion cells then I will harvest 71 billion for future use?

Thanks

This is exactly what I do for estimating my pitch and saving my .5l
of poured off starter.

Latest posts

Back