fighting the sterotype!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, craigtube says you have do all that you need to on brew day in 30 minutes. Just think 5hrs to 30 minutes, I would have so much more time and just as good beer riiiiiiiiiiiight?

95% of homebrew pushed off on friends probably deserves a bad reputation.

Brewing beer is easy. Brewing something that can compete with commercially brewed beer and change the mindset of the public is not so easy.

Consider:
  • The sheer number of Mr. Beers received as gifts each Christmas.
  • Probably 90% (plus) of all homebrew being offered to friends is from a person’s first (and last) batch.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers eager to share are probably serving green beer.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers probably have never heard of BJCP guidelines and a choco-raspberry-walnut stout sounds great.
  • Serious homebrewers are likely more diligent in refining their product before “taking it public”.

We (HBT'rs, Club Members, serious competitors...etc.) surround ourselves with quality homebrewers...but we are the minority.

Yes, the sad truth is that anyone can stop by Target tonight, pick up a Mr. Homebrew and brew up a batch of liquid bread before they go to bed tonight.

Sure as **** once it hits the glass, they’re going to want to take it to a party and POW…there goes the reputation of the serious homebrew craft.

It’s up to the individual homebrewer to impact their circle of influence.
  • Develop your skills.
  • Brew exceptional beers.
  • Cater to your friends current taste before shoving a smoked porter in front of them.
  • Take rejection of your beer as a style issue, not a homebrew stigma issue.

I brew beers I like to drink for me. I brew a lot more beers that are rather boring for others (because that’s what they like). But those boring beers have won over a lot more homebrew fans.

And finally…work at it. This rig took me quite some time to assemble and I didn’t need the extra three taps…but as a result, there were about 60-70 people who left an anniversary party this summer a lot more educated and enthusiastic about homebrewing than before they pulled the taps.

Rolling_Kegger9999.jpg

i am still a novice i only have 4 or 5 brew under my belt i never offer any of my beer out unless they understand that im not no were near were i want to be before i offer them on, but if they are persent ill give one out and only had one complaint that it didnt have no flaver like bud light does, and it was an 80-/ age for a few months.

95% of homebrew pushed off on friends probably deserves a bad reputation.

Brewing beer is easy. Brewing something that can compete with commercially brewed beer and change the mindset of the public is not so easy.

Consider:
  • The sheer number of Mr. Beers received as gifts each Christmas.
  • Probably 90% (plus) of all homebrew being offered to friends is from a person’s first (and last) batch.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers eager to share are probably serving green beer.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers probably have never heard of BJCP guidelines and a choco-raspberry-walnut stout sounds great.
  • Serious homebrewers are likely more diligent in refining their product before “taking it public”.

We (HBT'rs, Club Members, serious competitors...etc.) surround ourselves with quality homebrewers...but we are the minority.

Yes, the sad truth is that anyone can stop by Target tonight, pick up a Mr. Homebrew and brew up a batch of liquid bread before they go to bed tonight.

Sure as **** once it hits the glass, they’re going to want to take it to a party and POW…there goes the reputation of the serious homebrew craft.

It’s up to the individual homebrewer to impact their circle of influence.
  • Develop your skills.
  • Brew exceptional beers.
  • Cater to your friends current taste before shoving a smoked porter in front of them.
  • Take rejection of your beer as a style issue, not a homebrew stigma issue.

I brew beers I like to drink for me. I brew a lot more beers that are rather boring for others (because that’s what they like). But those boring beers have won over a lot more homebrew fans.

And finally…work at it. This rig took me quite some time to assemble and I didn’t need the extra three taps…but as a result, there were about 60-70 people who left an anniversary party this summer a lot more educated and enthusiastic about homebrewing than before they pulled the taps.

I think this is dead on. My first batch was not very good. I didn't know how important fermenting temps are and let my English IPA ferment around 75 degrees F. When it came out there were all kinds of off flavors. Because of that I was the only one who drank the beer until my dad asked to try it - I warned him first.

The second beer I made was much less of a jump in and do it and more a project I researched and learned before acting. It turned out very well - not as good as the original. Despite this slight short coming, side by side mine held up very well with the original I cloned. I shared that brew with many with great results.

Now that I am very comfortable with the process I am not afraid to share my beers, but it is because of the learning process and HBT. I should note none of my friends seem to have such preconceived notions about HB, instead most think its cool that I make beer. Maybe it is a generational thing.

I just don't seem most people taking the time and effort to constantly evaluate a process in effort to increase results as many on this forum do.

My first batch has finally begun losing the yeasty flavor from being "green" after 2 months... but I am waaayyy too self-conscious to let anyone try it.

I hope my batch of Haus Pale Ale will make me feel much more comfortable about.

I hope this consciousness for the flavor and quality of my product will help me to convert some BMC drinkers with my product.

I understand that not every brewer has this mentality though. I have never actually tried a homebrewed beer made by anyone else though unfortunately. :(

Homebrew evangelism is self defeating if you ask me. I no longer go out of my way to get folks to try my beers and I have a hard enough time keeping the pipeline full with all of the thirsty friends, neighbors, coworkers, and family. Perhaps I should throw a batch or two and do my part to sully the reputation...after all, there is a sort of mysticism surrounding the craft that would be lost if everyone was in on it.

One of the first things I ask when beer comes up in conversation is what kind of beer do they like. Their answer may well determine if they have had any experience in drinking anything other than the usual suspects. Sometimes my preaching only goes as far as: "I make beer at home, but nothing like that. There are soo many other styles of beer to choose from. Too bad it takes a while for my beer to condition before I can drink it!"

Their usual response is: How long does it take to make beer?

Then I tell them it varies by style. I made this one a few weeks back and it's almost ready, but I got a barleywine that won't be ready for several more months.

That let's them know you are at least serious about your brewing, and if they have any interest in trying different beer, it will come up in the conversation that you've just made about homebrewing.

my neighbor is the bud light is king type. wont touch homebrew hell i dont push it on him more for me lol

This thread has made me feel better about my first two batches totally sucking.

I guess I always thought that if you are brimming with confidence about how amazing your first batch was and how people are literally throwing money at you because it was so good, that you actually made good beer. Now I am starting to realize that maybe making really good beer is not easy and takes a lot of effort, work, and practice. Come to think of it - when is that not true in life.

This thread has given me the moral boost I needed to keep going and work harder.

Awesome!Make better beer.My beer gets a little better every time.I usually give them to people without telling them its homebrew to get some good criticism,good or bad.

This thread has made me feel better about my first two batches totally sucking.

I guess I always thought that if you are brimming with confidence about how amazing your first batch was and how people are literally throwing money at you because it was so good, that you actually made good beer. Now I am starting to realize that maybe making really good beer is not easy and takes a lot of effort, work, and practice. Come to think of it - when is that not true in life.

This thread has given me the moral boost I needed to keep going and work harder.

first 2 batchs? dont' feel bad at all!!! it took me almost 10 before i made decent beer.. so many things to tweak, and try, trial and error, before you find something that works for you... i'm on batch #18 now and my last pilsner everyone that tried it loved it, so i'm finaly feeling pretty good about my brewing

In response to most of the other posts, i will have to say that I too, started brewing, brew many batches of terrible beer, and before any of them were ready, told EVERYONE i was making beer and to come and try it! so everyone was eager to taste it and all i had to let them try was terrible stuff.. which i would try and explain why it tasted bad.... lol so I probably did not help our cause.. but i'm trying making up for it now

First of all.....CraigTube rocks! I needed a laugh. OMG...I can't even imagine what that stuff tastes like, but, if he likes it, more power to him. Looked like he had a glass of applejuice next to the sink when he was brewing, I assume that was the beer...

On the quality of beer front, since getting back into the brewing world, I have tried to do things with as much control and quality as possible, at least on the main points. I watch my temps, us quality ingredients and use a Partial Mash system until my all-grain is up and running.

I had one beer turn out different than I hoped, but it was still good and liked by a lot of the Bud crowd. The others have all been a big hit, and I have REALLY liked how they have turned out. Still, you just can't force people who like really light American pilsners to like craft beers.

My best has been an ESB (clone of Sierra Nevada's) that keeps getting better every week. My wife loves it, and all people who have tried it that like craft beers, and hoppy beers, love it.

The pee-beer community cringes when they try it, almost funny to watch. They are the same people who say the can't stand Guinness cause it is too strong and "they hate really alcoholic beers". lol...I just let em go
:mug:

First of all.....CraigTube rocks! I needed a laugh. OMG...I can't even imagine what that stuff tastes like, but, if he likes it, more power to him. Looked like he had a glass of applejuice next to the sink when he was brewing, I assume that was the beer...

I loved it when he talked about his PET bottles. "It's a beer-and-a-half". I never really thought of something as "beer sized" before.

Back on topic, most of my beers don't turn out right. I end up drinking all of the bad ones while half of the good ones are given away. It's a good thing I like bananas. :ban:

I think the Sam Adams home brew adds have helped in the popular acceptance of home brewing. I've met more home brewers in the last year than all of the previous 14 years I've been brewing. And I never get the "will I go blind?" question any more.

I think the Sam Adams home brew adds have helped in the popular acceptance of home brewing. I've met more home brewers in the last year than all of the previous 14 years I've been brewing. And I never get the "will I go blind?" question any more.

I live in a very rural area and I am aware of about 3 people with stills but I certain that there more here locally. I always get the "Will I go blind?" question. I always say, It's possible but I am really good so I take the risk. Those that know it can be good are always asking for a bottle or two. I don't want to share too much, so I don't fight the stereotypes.

Maybe being in Philly leads to a slightly different perspective. It could be similar in other big craft brew cities. We are fortunate to have so many great local beers (Victory, Dogfish Head, Yards, Flying Fish, Stoudt's and bunches of others), plenty of brew pubs, lots of home brewers and supporting infrastructure, plus a very solid beer tradition (we grew up drinking Yeungling before there were craft beers).

There are always going to be people who just prefer BMC (we make it a point to have some Corona Light on hand for parties - full disclosure, I like CL, especially late afternoon after mowing the lawn). That's fine for them, but there are also plenty of people who like a "real" beer, and who would be hugely disappointed if none was available when they came over.

I think there are two factors at play. If you are not used to a hoppy IPA (for example), and have grown up drinking BMC, you are almost certain to dislike it at first taste, even a very good one. Also, regarding the often somewhat "iffy" beers at tastings - at tastings I've attended, brewers tend to bring along their experiments, whether successful or not, knowing that the audience was going to be people who might appreciate their willingness to take their art to extremes.

I'm in a rural enough area that people understand that there is a difference between 'shine and beer. Some folks loves their 'shine.

Now the matter of seeing mash tuns, turkey fryers and immersion chillers in the driveway late in the evening could bring up the "Are you making meth" question I think.

I feel for you man. I used to have to travel to Longview for work, no good beer anywhere. I was happy to find Amber Bock at the Texas Roadhouse.

Yup...that's about it. Not exactly a micro brew kind of burg.

I live in a beer-starved area. It's very unusual to find any craft beers for sale locally, and definitely none on tap. The easiest way to find decent beer is to just make it myself.

I'm becoming a better brewer. I've made some beers that I've been thrilled with, some that are good, and some that are "ok". None that have been tossers, except for one that was based on a very sweet candy-like recipe that my best friend drank.

Even when I travel, though, I come across stereotypical behavior. In a homebrew store, where I was looking for specific items I needed, I was pretty much ignored where a man buying a kit & kilo set up was asked if he needed anything. I had to ask for some items I couldn't find- I needed malo lactic bacteria cultures, amber malt, certain hops, etc. When I asked, I got responses like, "Oh, what do you need that for little lady? You don't need that!"

Sometimes when I go into a brewpub, even in Milwaukee, I'm offered a "nice wheat beer" because of how I look. Give me the IPA. Please. Don't give me fruit and don't give me wheat. That stuff is gross.

Even at the National Homebrewer's Conference as I was loading my spent kegs into my car, a couple of brewers stopped to talk, and assumed that Richbrewer (I was giving him a ride to the airport) was my husband and I was the "helper". They were surprised that those were MY kegs, MY taps, MY gear.

Even here on HBT, newcomers just assume I'm a guy. And the HBT'ers that I've met in person still seem surprised when they meet me, even though they know I'm a woman. I get comments like, "Wow- you're not like I pictured!" Well, there are pictures of my on my profile- how can I be different? One admitted that he thought I'd be "butchier" and bigger. Um, thanks.

It seems like as women brewers we have to battle all the same stereotypes as the guys, plus the guys often treat as as less worthy of brewing. Not so much on HBT, but definitely out in the stores and homebrew shops.

Wow- I didn't mean such a long rant! Sorry to have filled your eyes with such a long diatribe. Sometimes I'm just tired of people saying, "Oh, you brew beer? But you're such a nice little lady!"

Give 'em hell Yooper, but narry a drop of you lovingly crafted home brew!

Stigmas suck. You're doing the best thing to fight it. Show folks their preconceptions are wrong, but don't make them feel bad doing it.

While I don't actually "brew" in my tub, I do like to "premash" it there by filling the tub about 1/2 way with hot water, pouring in the grains and then getting in there naked and ladling the mash over myself. Tell that to your curious friends and there will always be plenty of homebrew for you! - Dwain

Even when I travel, though, I come across stereotypical behavior. In a homebrew store, where I was looking for specific items I needed, I was pretty much ignored where a man buying a kit & kilo set up was asked if he needed anything. I had to ask for some items I couldn't find- I needed malo lactic bacteria cultures, amber malt, certain hops, etc. When I asked, I got responses like, "Oh, what do you need that for little lady? You don't need that!"

Were there any survivors?

:eek:

I'm guilty of thinking you were a dude yooper when I first found HBT.I'm sorry.I figured no woman can Love hockey and know so much about beer!I have since been corrected and think you should hang out with my wife sometime.

Latest posts

Back