Fighting that itch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westo2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a 4 month backfill promotion including a slight bump in pay. That immediately has me going to my brewery wishlist. But, I've dedicated it to paying off two of the higher interest student loans.

Then I log into HBT and some of the brew store sites and have to suppress the urge to reach for my wallet.

Sometimes being an adult is challenging.

What to do.......

Good for you. Sounds like you are handling adulthood better than some "adults". Taking care of what you owe others first is something not many of us "adults" --- myself included --- do as well as we should. Therefore, I won't be hypocritical in offering the same advice I know I should be following. My "advice" would be, as long as you are meeting financial commitments you have made, having a little 'fun' money at the end of the day isn't a bad thing.

But the SS Brew buckets are so shiny..... and a jaybird false bottom would look so nice in the bottom of my mash tun.

In all seriousness - it's an easy choice. I'm sick of paying interest. Time for these to go away.

Temptation is hard to suppress at times, but you sound quite strong.

Paying off higher interest loans is always the best. If you do need more money than you have in your bank account, you can likely secure lower interest loans now, plugging the larger leaky (interest) holes. Painting a financial picture for the future (budgeting) is one of the wisest strategies, yet very few people do it, racking up debt where they shouldn't.

A little reward at some point for being so frugal is apropos, though.

Good for you for caring about your financial future. You might still be able to sock away a little bit now and then to get what you need. But, the weight will be lifted when the loans are paid off and you will likely enjoy brewing even more knowing the wait was worth it.
But, I do have one of those shiny SS buckets. :)

Paying off higher interest loans is always the best.

Yep - this isn't the last of the loans, but once these two are knocked out - the remaining student loans, mortgage, and wife's minivan all are under 3%. Those one's I'll let ride.

A little reward at some point for being so frugal is apropos, though.

The reward will be the lack of interest paid in 2015

But, I do have one of those shiny SS buckets. :)

Someday......

Anyone can brew great beer in a bucket.

And I brew beer in carboys, but that's a debate that has surely run its course.

Screw this noise! You got back pay (a feat in itself), a promotion and a raise. What'd you go to school and do all this work for? Just to pay bills? Bull! Go buy yourself something. Maybe not everything, but at least one thing. Maybe a small thing from the list. Hell. You may get ate by a shark tomorrow. You never know.

Go buy yourself something. Maybe a small thing from the list.

Buy yourself something nice:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410307853.473109.jpg

I do have to perform dive inspections coming up in a couple weeks....

I agree, treat yourself to SOMETHING. You don't have to get crazy and something on your list isn't going to stop you from paying off some of that student loan.
I think a small treat to yourself it in order, as a congrats to me type of thing.
If you can't enjoy some of that cash whats the point in making it?

I agree, treat yourself to SOMETHING. You don't have to get crazy and something on your list isn't going to stop you from paying off some of that student loan.
I think a small treat to yourself it in order, as a congrats to me type of thing.
If you can't enjoy some of that cash whats the point in making it?

I'm not cutting everything off - I've got another bulk grain purchase planned coming up in a couple months, I'm still brewing about twice a month, and have my set up pretty well dialed in. The other purchases I want to make happen to be larger upgrades, which I'll hold off on for the time being. Still taking time to enjoy life, just directing the temporary bump in pay into debt service rather than upgrades.

I'm not cutting everything off - I've got another bulk grain purchase planned coming up in a couple months, I'm still brewing about twice a month, and have my set up pretty well dialed in. The other purchases I want to make happen to be larger upgrades, which I'll hold off on for the time being. Still taking time to enjoy life, just directing the temporary bump in pay into debt service rather than upgrades.

Brovo.
Sounds like a good plan. enjoy and congrats.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here....

In my eyes you're not really an 'adult' until you're married with 2.5 kids, a mortgage, a dog, a mini-van and $20,000.00 in credit card debt.

Get to work slacker.... :D

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here....

In my eyes you're not really an 'adult' until

you're married

Check.

with 2.5 kids,

Check.

a mortgage,

Check.

Nope.

a mini-van

Check.

and $20,000.00 in credit card debt.

I'll try and avoid this one.