FG question/drinkability time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
I brewed my second all grain batch last week Wednesday, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. The recipe calls for a SG of 1.039 and a FG of 1.008. My Sg wound up a little high at 1.05. Should I expect any change in the FG due to the high SG? It currently sits ~1.008. I would think it wouldnt matter but I just want to make sure. I pitched dry danstar nottingham yeast.

Other question, If it holds 0.08 for a few days would it be a problem to bottle. I would normally wait but I planned on having this for my bachelor party and its 2 weeks from friday. Am I crazy for thinking it would be ready by then? My thinking was its not a real complex beer and it should be ok but just looking for opinions.:mug:

Like I've said multiple times before, If it wasn't for this board I'm not sure I would be doing what i am today. Thanks again!!!

It might be ready in time for the bachelor party. I think it'll still be somewhat green though, so your guests might not get the best impression of homebrew.

As for your FG, 1.008 seems about right. If you don't already have a beer program like BTP, Beersmith, etc, then I highly suggest one. They're great for entering recipes and getting all the info you need without having to think about it.

I too think you're ok. 1.008 just 'sounds right' for that OG...even a bit 'crisp' but that's still good.

If its still 1.008 on saturday you can sure bottle, leave it til the day before the party to bottle carb *hopefully* enough

it'll probably be tastey even if its a little green on the edges.

When you condition it to carbonate, put it someplace warm (>70F) for as long as possible, and invert the bottles every day to keep the yeasties working. As Revvy says, higher temperature = faster conditioning. Then, a couple days before your bachelor party, throw them in the fridge or lagerator as close to 32F as you can to get the yeast to drop out and the beer to clear. That'll certainly help. And as shortyjacobs said, blondes condition quickly. I think you'll be fine.

Back