Few questions for first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmooreskier

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first thread and first post. I've been reading everything in this forum over the last 2 weeks and learned a lot! So for that I thank you.

I will be attempting my first BIAB batch tonight. I have 2 questions:
1. How much water?
2. How much sparge water? (read below before you yell 'theres no sparging in BIAB')

I have tried online calculators as well as the BeerSmith program, and all have given me different amounts of water to use between 7.75 and 8.25 gallons. Here is my recipe, how much water would you use?

Total grains= 13.75, I want 6.25 gallons at preboil

12lb Rahr 2-Row
8oz White Wheat
8oz Carapils
12oz Crystal 15L
Yeast (Dry) - Safale US-05 (11.5 g)
.5oz Magnum
1oz Citra
1oz Citra
1oz Citra

2. Unfortunately my largest pot is 7.5 gallons, so I will have to heat up some amount of water and add at the mash out (right?). So how much water should I put in my kettle with 13.75 lbs of grain? I used the 'can I mash it' calculator here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
and it said 9 gallons, if i use a 2.3 mash thickness (or 8 gallons of strike water).

so does that mean my grain will take up the space of a gallon of water? should I put 6 gallons + grain in the kettle and 2 gallons in a second kettle and add at mash out?

Yes I am aware that this is not the traditional BIAB setup, I am just trying to use what I have to make my beer a little better than an extract kit.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for the help!

Easiest and most foolproof method IMO is to simply mash with 5 gallons, after removing the bag measure the wort left in the kettle. Your preboil of 6.25 gallons less the amount initially collected will be your sparge amount...simple and accurate IME.

Rather than trying to calculate the losses to grain absorbtion, you are simply measuring it!

Or another alternative to doing an actual sparge step of sorts, would be to again mash in w/ 5 gallons, after the hour mash add hot / boiling water to nearly reach the brim of your kettle, stir well and rest for 5-10 minutes, stir again. Remove bag and you will likely be within a couple quarts of preboil volume. Rest your grain bag above the kettle in a collander or simply by placing a couple kitchen utensils across the top of the pot. Carefully pour a few quarts of sparge water over and thru the bag to reach your 6.25 gal. preboil.

Both of these methods assume you have the ability to measure runnings in the BK...which is a good idea IMO. Cheers!

Everything went great! MY target OG was 1.050-1.055 at a 70% efficiency according to my recipe, and I hit 1.054! Pretty stoked for my 1st BIAB, 1st AG, and 3rd ever batch! The citra hops smelled fantastic. Unfortunately my boil didn't end until 1:30 am, and my parents were already pissed at the noise I was making so I couldn't setup my wort chiller, so I just let it cool slowly overnight in the carboy. Time to go pitch the yeast!

Bmooreskier said:
ya my basement stays right at 68 which is awesome

Ok, yes your basement might be 68, but the heat created during fermentation can raise wort temps 5 -10 degrees which is too hot.

Wort temp NOT room temp should be mid sixties

I just added my yeast at 78. Had no choice, finished the boil last night, couldn't get it cool enough before leaving for work at 6am. Now what? Is my beer ruined? Can I fix it? Please help

Ruined, No...compromised perhaps.

You could try and reduce temps gradually when you get home.

Next time I would suggest you are better off waiting and chilling below 65-70, rather than rushing the process and pitching hot.

You will certainly get beer, just perhaps not as good as it could be....RDWHAHB cheers!

So how does pitching the yeast at 78 rather than 70 really affect the beer? Exactly? I really hope my beer has not been 'compromised'!!!

As soon as I get home around 4, I will properly cool the brew to 65-70. At what temp should I keep it at? & for how long?

Higher temps will produce more esters, off flavors and fusel alcohol...some yeasts prefer the lower range of fermentation temps and result in a cleaner taste...more or less...there are volumes written on fermentation temps.

Back