Festa Brew - OG, SPG, FG readings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutang

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post on the forum, I've done home brews before but haven't done my own for the last couple of years.. (been picking up kegs of local brews for the keggerator instead), but am getting back into it all again now!

So right now I've got 2 Festa Brew kits on the go:
Festa Brew - Marzenbier
Festa Brew - Cerveza

Things seem to be going well and I'd say they're just about ready (though I'll likely try to hold off and cold crash for a little as well), but with xmas season it may be hard to hold off much longer:S

Anyway my question is basically about accurate OG SPG and FG readings...

My OG for both brews seemed a little lower than expected at 1.040. I'm fermenting between 10-12 deg C with s23 lager yeast. I thought about the tempt correction for my hydrometer but that only made a difference of about 0.001 so negligible really when the readings are hard to get that accurate anyway. SPGs are currently sitting at 1.016 (Cerveza) and 1.016 (Marzenbier) after 2+ weeks. Slow fermentation but I guess nothing crazy considering the low lager fermenting temp I'm going with.
Is it possible that my OG reading was just off?? I took pictures so I know where the hydrometer was, but maybe because the wort wasn't settled or mixed right?.. or the hydrometer is just a little off so I actually have to let it ferment some more?
I will check SPG again over the next couple of days to see if it has stabilized of course but figure it must be close if not already done by now.

Here is my log I've kept:

Festa Brew Cerveza (with s23 lager yeast)
Festa Brew Marzenbier (with s23 lager yeast)

30 Nov 2016
- Primary fermentation started for both Cerveza and Marzenbier
- temp: ~12 deg C
- Cerveza OG: ~1.04
- Marzenbier OG: ~1.04

04 Dec 2016
- temp: ~12 deg C
- Cerveza SPG: ~ 1.04
- Marzenbier SPG: ~1.04

12 Dec 2016
- temp: ~10 deg C
- Cerveza SPG: ~1.017
- Marzenbier SPG: ~1.021

17 Dec 201
- temp: ~10 deg C
- Cerveza SPG: 1.011 ----> ~4% ABV (if OG was accurate)
- Marzenbier SPG: 1.016 ----> ~2.7% ABV (if OG was accurate)

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to get all the pertinent information out there.
Any overall thoughts are welcome/appreciated!
Cheers!:mug:
Ryan

Just thought I'd add:

I will be leaving both brews in primary only (no racking to secondary) probably not bother with a diacetyl rest, but probably will cold crash at least for a short period.

Then I will be transferring both to corny kegs and setting up in my keggerator on CO2 (actually building a new one since needing to replace the old fridge).

I never did check this hydrometer in distilled water yet now that I think about it.. so I'll definitely check that. Even if that is off though it wouldn't change the difference between OG and SPG readings... so the way I see it, best case it would just mean that the fermentation isn't done yet and it will still drop more if I leave it longer right?

Back