Fertilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
Is there a decent fertilizer that can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes that I can use at the beginning of the season? I believe something that is high in Nitrogen should be used during upward growth.

Is Vigoro Bold Blooms a good fertilizer to use, or are the other two components too high? It's a 15-30-15 fertilizer.

I've had good success with miracle grow in the past. Applied at the beginning stages of growth 2 to 3 weeks apart stopping on the 4th of July. The past few years I've been going the organic route and top dressing with compost

Is there a decent fertilizer that can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes that I can use at the beginning of the season? I believe something that is high in Nitrogen should be used during upward growth.

Is Vigoro Bold Blooms a good fertilizer to use, or are the other two components too high? It's a 15-30-15 fertilizer.

Hops respond really well to a granular thats close to a 20-10-20. Our rule of thumb is always sticking with lower phosphorus than Nitrogen/potassium. 15 - 30 -15 would not be ideal from our experience.

We use a granular 20-10-20 Osmocote. A handful spread in a circular array around the plant is perfect. just do not apply it to the crown or too closely to the crown itself. This will burn/damage the crown itself. Anything from the local store close to this is fine. 15-5-15 10-0-10 etc

Early season you might want to go more organic.

Unless you were an organic grower, why would organic be a better choice early? Seems to me that the organic products take a good while to break down compared to a conventional fertilizer. I don't understand the logic?

Unless you were an organic grower, why would organic be a better choice early? Seems to me that the organic products take a good while to break down compared to a conventional fertilizer. I don't understand the logic?

Basically to boost soil activity, maintain/help build soil microbes and apply less NPK. So early season, the plant uses its stored sugars and grows its feeder root. Later in the season switch to a fast acting fertilizer the plant and soil is ready to use.

Oh, so you were talking about OM rather than an organic based fertilizer?

Hops respond really well to a granular thats close to a 20-10-20. Our rule of thumb is always sticking with lower phosphorus than Nitrogen/potassium. 15 - 30 -15 would not be ideal from our experience.

We use a granular 20-10-20 Osmocote. A handful spread in a circular array around the plant is perfect. just do not apply it to the crown or too closely to the crown itself. This will burn/damage the crown itself. Anything from the local store close to this is fine. 15-5-15 10-0-10 etc

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I found this organic fertilizer that appears to meet with the lower Phosphate than N and P methodology. It's NPK is 10-2-8.

Since my Centennial is already sending leaves up above the soil, I probably need to get this down this weekend! I have a raised bed with 2 plants in it. My plan is to put this fertilizer down, then top off the bed with composted manure (lost a couple inches since last year).

Is this a good plan? :mug:

Back