Fermwrap question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehenry

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question for those that use fermwraps and similar products.

I need to find a way to ferment up to three batches at different stages in my chest freezer. From primary fermentation to cold crashing.

I thinking that I can use my temperature controller to keep the ambient temperature at 40 degrees and then get fermwraps each with their own temp control to keep the fermenters at whatever temperature I want.

This way I could do an ale and a lager at the same time, etc. When a beer is done I could just unplug its fermwrap and let it cold crash at 40.

Would a fermwrap be able to keep a fermenting beer at 60-70 in a 40 degree chamber?

Did you ever try this? Basically I am wondering if I can have one ale fermenting at 64*F and the other cold crashing to 40*F in the same fermentation fridge.

Did you ever try this? Basically I am wondering if I can have one ale fermenting at 64*F and the other cold crashing to 40*F in the same fermentation fridge.

Don't know if davidhenry figured this out but I've been using the fermo-temp/ fermowrap as of late to control the fermentation temp with the coming cold temperatures.

Fermenting an ale at 68-70 degrees F along side a lager in a chest freezer at 40 degrees F is very possible. The major difficulty would be getting an accurate temperature reading for the temp controller that the heating wrap is plugged into. If you use electrical tape to apply the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter, chances are it will pick up the temp of the outside of the fermenter which chances are is not the same as the center of the fermenter. Thus the temp control will keep the heating pad on or off for too long and you won't get the correct temperature you need.

Luckily I have an SS brewbucket with a thermowell/ diptube on the lid. It's a hollow tube that, depending on how much beer is in your fermenter, is submerged in the middle of your fermenting beer. I put the temp control probe into the dip tube so that the unit gets an accurate read on the overall temperature of the beer and not temperature of the fermenter.

Now I really had this problem with my plastic Speidel fermenters. I couldn't get an accurate temp reading because I taped the temp probe to the side of the fermenter. For those of you who use carboys, plastic or glass, this will also be a problem. In doing some research, on Amazon I found a standard rubber stopper with a diptube attachment. The rubber stopper is a standard size, has a long dip tube for the temp probe to go into and has another hole for the standard airlock/ blow off tube. This has solved my problem for innacurate temperature readings for my temp control. You may need to verify the width of your carboy/ fermenter mouth or hole for the rubber stopper. It's a #7 stopped and fits nicely in my Speidel fermenter. I'll post the link at the bottom.

Accurate temperature readings is the main concern here. The only other thing I can think of is that your heating pad will most likely be on at all times in a 40 degree fridge. Depending on what your temp differential is set on your temp control, once the fermenter hits 70 degrees F and the heating wraps shuts off, it won't be long until it drops and the heating wrap turns back on. This may effect the life span of the heating wrap and use more electricity in the long run.

A small investment of about $15-$20 for the thermowell/ diptube will make a very large difference in the temp control, your fermenting capacity and your space efficiency. Hope this helps out a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KP4D0K2/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1484009095&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fermentation+heater&dpPl=1&dpID=21vesuZ7bIL&ref=plSrch

Cheers!

The only other thing I can think of is that your heating pad will most likely be on at all times in a 40 degree fridge. Depending on what your temp differential is set on your temp control, once the fermenter hits 70 degrees F and the heating wraps shuts off, it won't be long until it drops and the heating wrap turns back on.

You would want to insulate the warmer fermenter to prevent what you are talking about. I put a t-shirt on my fermenters, but if I have to move them to the garage, I wrap a thick towel around too. The laundry room is typically 64-ish, so during vigorous fermentation my ales want to exceed the 67 I set the controller at, so i just wrapped that rascal up and moved it to the 40 degree garage for a day or so. I kinda kept an eye on it just to make sure, but the heat wrap didn't seem to be on for even half the time, and I did a really half-assed job of insulating it.

You would want to insulate the warmer fermenter to prevent what you are talking about. I put a t-shirt on my fermenters, but if I have to move them to the garage, I wrap a thick towel around too. The laundry room is typically 64-ish, so during vigorous fermentation my ales want to exceed the 67 I set the controller at, so i just wrapped that rascal up and moved it to the 40 degree garage for a day or so. I kinda kept an eye on it just to make sure, but the heat wrap didn't seem to be on for even half the time, and I did a really half-assed job of insulating it.
Great call on insulation to promote the fermenter to keep it's warmth! Didn't even think of that.

Glad to hear it will work! I currently ferment two ales in a time using thermowells and fermwraps controlled by two STC 1000 Controllers. Im going to give it a shot.

One thing I am going to try as well with my current fermenting pale ale is to use gelatin in the primary without cold crashing. I know this goes against the grain but Im going to give it a shot. I just figured Ill use 1 whole pack of gelatin for a few days longer to see if it will clear at fermentation temps currently 64*F. Ill post back here if anyone is interested.

I have used gelatin in the keg on previous beers and the results are amazing.

Back