Fermentor size big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a higher gravity ale (1.075 OG approx.) on sunday. I've previously been fermenting in 30L (8 gal) buckets, but I have recently bought a much smaller 15L (4 gal) bucket. I usually brew ~11,5L (3 gal) at a time. I wonder if the new fermentor bucket is big enough to handle a big beer without the risk of a blow-off? :confused:
I'm going to use the Mangrooves Jack M42 new world strong ale yeast.

Best regards

3 Gal in 4 Gal fermenter should be fine. I leave my fermenter covered with a foil for a day or so, then put in airlock.

3 Gal in 4 Gal fermenter should be fine.

This^

Amount of needed headspace depends more on style of beer and yeast, and not necessarily gravity. Either way, even the most explosive ferm will be accommodated by a 25% headspace. I do 5 gal in a 6.5 gal fermenter and with the exception of my most explosive ferm --- a 1.046 hefe (WLP380) with which I always use a blow off tube --- the kraussen ring is routinely a couple inches from reaching the rim even on the hi-grav beers.

I wouldn't count on it not blowing off. That doesn't seem safe. I've most certainly had fermentations that used more than 25% of space. Although these were quads and barlewines.

I ended up using the bigger fermenter. I'll use the smaller one for secondary purposes instead :)

I would not use an extra gallon size fermenter for that secondary. I'd try to find a 3 gallon fermenter (they sell them) for the secondary, or just leave it in primary the whole way through. That much headspace could make oxidation an issue.

Back