Fermenting w/ blow-off tube first vs airlock immediately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago_Eric_

Reaction score
My initial kit instructions told me to use the blow-off tube for the first couple days of fermentation and then put in the airlock. I'm on my second kit now but with a completely different company. However, of course I'm reusing the equipment from the first kit. The instructions for the second kit just say put in the airlock and ferment for 6 days. Both recipes are for IPAs. The fermenter is a 1 gal. glass carboy. Which way should I go? The 6 day fermenting seems ridiculous since my first IPA was 2 weeks.

The airlock can plug up if the kraeusen rises into it. I'm guessing you have little headroom using a 1 gallon carboy, so it would be best to use the blow-off tube. (Caution: I once had a blow-off tube plug when I transferred the hops to the fermenter - using a 3/8" blow-off.)

A few years ago I started using a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallon batches. I don't brew any high gravity beers, and maintain good temperature control. I find a blow-off tube is totally unnecessary under my conditions.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
No harm in starting w/the blow off tube. Did the first one need it? I never start w/one and sometimes have a mess to clean up. LOL Your beer is done when the yeast is done, not by a time clock. I never check before 3 weeks and sometimes go longer depending on the brew. The only way to find out if you are done is w/a hydrometer and take two readings two days apart. If no change your ready to bottle.

I always use a blow off tube for every beer during the first week and then switch to an airlock after that. No more cleaning clogged airlocks during high krausen.

I'd recommend a blow off tube for the first few days with those 1 gallon jugs. According to my notes I had 10 blow offs in 40 batches in gallon jugs, a few of them were pretty violent, loosing more than a bottle worth.

Thanks all, I'll definitely go the blow-off tube route, the carboy doesn't have much head space since the recipe was supposed to make 5 liters which I was originally going to split between my two carboys but my boil off was more than a liter so I was able to squeeze it into just one.

My initial kit instructions told me to use the blow-off tube for the first couple days of fermentation and then put in the airlock. I'm on my second kit now but with a completely different company. However, of course I'm reusing the equipment from the first kit. The instructions for the second kit just say put in the airlock and ferment for 6 days. Both recipes are for IPAs. The fermenter is a 1 gal. glass carboy. Which way should I go? The 6 day fermenting seems ridiculous since my first IPA was 2 weeks.

I totally agree. The fermentation is done and the yeast has completed the cleanup but at 6 days the beer is full of suspended yeast. Bottled at 6 days means that suspended yeast ends up in your bottle and when you pour you have a huge amount of sediment in the bottles. I'd plan to give an IPA at least 10 days prior to dry hopping and another 4 or 5 days (at least) for dry hopping and now your beer is at 2 weeks. That's better. If you have the patience for it, give it 2 weeks before dry hopping for a week and now your beer is in the fermenter for 3 weeks, much the same as many of us do. Longer in the fermenter before dry hopping isn't detrimental to the beer either.

I totally agree. The fermentation is done and the yeast has completed the cleanup but at 6 days the beer is full of suspended yeast.

In addition, fermentation doesn't always progress as expected. There is a safety aspect to this - if it isn't finished fermenting when you bottle, it will finish in the bottles. You can get gushers and possibly bottle bombs. I like RM-MN's idea of 3 weeks in the fermenter - to be safe in addition to reducing sediment in the bottles. I normally go with 18 days, but I check to be sure gravity is stable also.

Yea I made the mistake of throwing an airlock on immediately and it clogged in like 3 days, switched it to blow off and its fine now. I also was using the same set up at you, glass 1 gal carboy. Live and learn.

You can also just leave the blowoff tube in. It's essentially a big airlock. There's no need to change to an airlock unless it's easier for you for space/storage. No real harm in switching either though.

^^^ Exactly what I was going to say. Always start with a blowoff tube.

Latest posts

Back