Fermenting Soda? (Ginger Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legitikick

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll take all sorts of sh*t for asking something like this, but here goes. Anyone every played around with fermenting soda? I have a whole bunch of Canada Dry Ginger Ale, and some Belgian Ale yeast (from previous batch, no I didn't waste $ on this), and I'm about to move in a few weeks and don't want to start a batch of beer now. But I'm going to play around and see what happens.

So here's the question. If the soda hasn't gone completely flat when I pitch the yeast, is this a problem? I'm surprised how long its taking to go flat.

Will the sodium benzoate in the soda be a problem?

Should I let this yeast get VERY active before I pitch it, maybe to combat the preservative and other less-than-favorable conditions? Or does it matter?

It's going to taste disgusting. If it does ferment, it will ferment out all the sugar leaving you with unsweetened nastiness. Don't waste that delicious Belgian yeast on hooch, please....

Yes, people have tried it before. Haven't seen someone do a ginger ale though, you just might get away with it.

Will the sodium benzoate in the soda be a problem? Probably, although lots of yeast can overcome that.

Extra CO2 isn't a problem. Just pitch & stand back. All of the remaining CO2 will come out in a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back