Fermenting Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malisk

Reaction score
I just started my first ever attempt at home brewing wine from a kit from Midwest supplies a little over a week ago. I believe I started it Monday. It was too cold in my house so by the time I realized what the issue was and moved it to a warmer spot it was Thursday night. It started fermenting and foaming like crazy on Friday and JUST started slowing down yesterday. There is still a significant amount of bubbles and foam in one corner just not the pure mayhem that was going on. I also noticed, however, a more distinct smell. I can't really describe it other than to say it does smell fruity and somewhat of spoilage. I am just paranoid that I ruined my batch since I think (think) I smell a hint of eggs. Is this normal or should I be concerned? It's a red wine.

Off smells are quite normal, but if you have a REALLY bad rotten egg smell, you need to act.

The proper course of action is to stir, see if it goes away. Then add yeast nutrient. If all else fails, rack splash. This lets the smell escape and allows the yeast to get oxygen.

From what you describe, sounds normal, good luck!

novalou said:
Off smells are quite normal, but if you have a REALLY bad rotten egg smell, you need to act.

The proper course of action is to stir, see if it goes away. Then add yeast nutrient. If all else fails, rack splash. This lets the smell escape and allows the yeast to get oxygen.

From what you describe, sounds normal, good luck!

Thanks a lot. It is not at all very bad, in fact I have a hard time stating with certainty that it even has an egg smell. I may just be paranoid but I appreciate you calming my nerves haha

Latest posts

Back