Fermenting Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty

Reaction score
Hey peeps!
Going to start my second batch of beer and wanted to run something by you experienced brewers.
After fermenting my first batch and racking to a secondary I immediately rinsed, washed and sanitized my fermenting pail. Going to use it today I found it still smelled like beer so I went through the sanitizing procedure again. After drying I find it still smells like beer.
Is this a normal occurrence? Am I over analyzing? Thanks in advance.
Smitty

Should be fine, especially if you keep cleaning it. When I used a bucket, it smelled like beer and started turning yellow where it was in contact with all the beer. Never had an infected batch.

If it bothers you, an overnight soak in PBW or oxiclean will help remove both smell and color.

The smell never dissipates.
The "lovely patina" of being soaked by grain extract goodness never dissipates.

I've used same bucket since 2013, augmented with a couple others, and as long as I am rigorous about cleaning after bottling, and sanitizing when using, I am fine.

But the color and smell, even with PBW soak, and chlorine bleach soak, never go away.

Yeah, RDWHAHB!

But, uh, stop doing those secondaries.
There's no need for them, while the racking process will oxidize your beer. Everything can be done in your "primary" bucket until ready to package.

There are a few exceptions of course.

When I used to use buckets they all acquired their own special aromas. Beer smell is perfectly normal. Just don't scrub it with anything abrasive and scratch the insides.

Wait til you dry hop in a bucket. It will smell like hops.

Should be fine, especially if you keep cleaning it. When I used a bucket, it smelled like beer and started turning yellow where it was in contact with all the beer. Never had an infected batch.

If it bothers you, an overnight soak in PBW or oxiclean will help remove both smell and color.
Right on. Thank you.

Back