Fermenting over 2 months now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csimmons21

Reaction score
My mead has been fermenting for nearly 2 months now, very slow bubble activity and no signs of clearing. It's a simple 1 gallon batch with 3 lbs of honey that I pitched with wyeast mead/cider/wine yeast. I added yeast nutrient and energizer in small amounts for the first week every 2 days. Not sure what is going on! Is this normal?

My mead has been fermenting for nearly 2 months now, very slow bubble activity and no signs of clearing. It's a simple 1 gallon batch with 3 lbs of honey that I pitched with wyeast mead/cider/wine yeast. I added yeast nutrient and energizer in small amounts for the first week every 2 days. Not sure what is going on! Is this normal?
It might be, without a bit of further info it's hard to say.

To be able to work out exactly how much nutrient/energiser to use, you'd need to be using materials with a published amount of nitrogen etc.

Here's a little light reading......

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1256/NDzym05_MasterMead.pdf

That was written by the excellent Ken Schramm, that does some way to explaining the "why's and wherefores" of mead nutrition.

either way, it's about knowing how much nitrogen these adjuncts supply, as well as knowing the starting and final gravities - or at least what they're likely to be, as well as what the tolerance of the yeast is.

You also need to get a handle on pH measuring, particularly with traditionals as it can swing down to the danger area quite easily........

Latest posts

Back