fermenting issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
So I definately am not setting my thermostat in my place between 68 and 72 so I've been wrapping a moist towel with a fan on my carboy - my last brew turned out pretty good but i've got a pale ale fermenting now and literally after a day of bubbling it quit - now everytime I go and rewet the towel it will buble for a little while again -

is this bad for it to be starting and stopping the bubbling - is there a more efficent way to keep the temperature appropriate for fermenting?

If you set the carboy in a shallow container filled with water, the water will wick continuosly into the towel and keep your temp more constant. As long as that temp isn't too cold, you're good to go.

I doubt the fermentation is starting and stopping but that you are jiggling the carboy and releasing some co2. fermentation times will vary depending on the yeast, temp, sugar content...etc. I've had bigger beers go 3 days and smaller ones go all week. (disclaimer, I'm no beer expert but I slept pretty good last night....) What is the temp?

DeathBrewer said:
whenever i open the door to my closet, it stops my airlock from bubbling because of the change in pressure. it starts again after a few seconds.

DeathBrewer - you sure you haven't frightened it?

:off:

When I'm in bed at night, if I roll over on my side, I start bubbling a little and my "airlock" goes off.

Then later, if I roll on my other side...same thing.

Goes on all night.

So far my fermentation is still strong.

It'll be just as good with your brew. No worries.

Back