Fermenting in South Carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just gotten into the hobby this summer, after seeing a friends set up. My first project was to make two gallons of wine in 1 gallon water jugs out of grape concentrate, sugar, water, and wine yeast. No secondary fermentation! It did have a bit of a bread aftertaste, and I probably could have aged them longer... (okay I know I could have!).
My goal was to get started, and try something without any big investment, and it worked. Already drank the eight bottles, and have 4 gallons going right now. I'm taking steps to improve these, and eventually will try a proper kit. That seems so easy though. I am drawn to the DIY aspect and have only read the Alaskan Bootleggers book..

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks for the link! I'll be trying some beer recipes after my wine experiments are over. I realize as I stare at 4 bubbling plastic capsules and drink my cheap carlo rossi (ONLY to empty the bottle for future use..) that this website is a valuable and fun way to pass the time during the "waiting" part of the hobby-

Just bottled my cranberry wine today, and after corking four bottles, had just enough to almost fill a grolsch bottle. What looked clear in the water jug, was in reality, "almost clear". Not cloudy like the first batch I made (and bottled after only 2 weeks!!). I labeled my bottles and braced myself to try a sample.. Wow! It was good! Especially compared to that first batch. I'm hoping it will even age to be better! This was better than the carlo rossi I drank to free up the gallon jug!
Very dry, with a tart, but subtle cranberry / grape taste. It's the simplest recipe with cran juice, water, sugar, and champagne yeast. I think the champagne yeast really gives it a clean taste. This is the first time I've used the champagne yeast..

In the coming weeks I will be bottling my apfelwein, and 4 other single gallon projects. How exciting!

I also discovered my LHBS store. Beach Homebrew in Myrtle Beach, SC. Since we've got our own shop here, I'm sure there are some brewers/fermenters in this area, give me a shout!

Eric

Latest posts

Back