Fermenting in a chest freezer - questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eh2010

Reaction score
This weekend I’ll be brewing an AHS Hefeweizen with WLP300. I’ve heard this yeast is very temperamental and will produce distinct clove/banana notes depending on the fermentation temp (62DF will give you clove, 70DF will give you banana). I usually just ferment in an empty closet in my home, but I want to keep this batch at a much cooler temp than I normally keep my closet. I’m trying to figure out the best way I can regulate temperature.

My plan is to use my chest freezer, with my analogue thermostat to keep the 5gal at 66-68 degrees.

My question is, how can I ensure the beer is at the right temp?

This sounds like it should be obvious, but I’m just a little unsure of one or two things. Is there a danger in starting with my freezer colder and bringing it up to the desired temp, even if it means starting around 55? I have a stick-on thermometer on the carboy. Would this be accurate in this situation? Has anyone done this before?

As long as your ambient temp outside the freezer is warmer that your ferm temp, a freezer will do ok (remember the freezer won't heat the inside without help.)

For the ferm temp, simply tape a pouch made with a double or triple layer of bubble wrap to your carboy/bucket, and insert the temp probe into that.

I'm 5 days into fermentation and everything's going nicely.

I have my probe wrapped in a bubble wrap sheet and my thermostat set for 60.
The carboy stick-on thermometer reads 62/63.

The first day took a bit to get it down from 70ish, but after that it's been quite consistent.

I have a question about chest freezers. Where is the best place to place the probe that measures the temp in the freezer? I've heard some people put it in a bowl of water?? or some people lay it on the carboy? Is any method better than the other?

I have a question about chest freezers. Where is the best place to place the probe that measures the temp in the freezer? I've heard some people put it in a bowl of water?? or some people lay it on the carboy? Is any method better than the other?

I use a thermowell in the carboy.
you can tape it to the side also,just insulate it a bit from the ambient air.
you can also just measure the ambient temp and monitor the fermometer on the carboy.this will take a little trial and error to find out what different ambient temps will get your fermenter down to.

,,,in other words, what ever you can make work

I tape it to the carboy first. Then, I fold a paper towel 3 or 4 times and then tape that on top of the probe.

Works like a charm.

Back