Fermenting Foam but no bubbles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello my fellow home brewers! Hope you all had a great holiday season.
I'm having an issue that i'm hoping all you can help me with. For months, I have been using the Speidel Plastic fermenter with the big airlock. On my last two batches that I've fermented in the Speidel, fermentation has happened, but the airlock never bubbled. Both beers came out really good and I hit my targeted final gravity. I got a new plastic fermenter for xmas....the big mouth bubbler. This past weekend made a batch and filled the bubbler....this was yesterday. Fermentation has started cause I see the yeast bed that covers the top and can see activity going on, but again the airlock i have on it is not bubbling. I've sprayed down the lids with soapy water and can detect no opening. I'm at a lost.

having bubbles is a false sense of security. By this I mean, bubbles doesn't always equal fermentation and fermentation doesn't always equal bubbles. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine. After about a week or 2 check the gravity over a couple of days and if its within recipe range and stable then you are done. I switched to a water trap type airlock (think how a toilet works) and that bad boy had not bubbled once the past 3 beers, BUT! I still had fermentation and made beer. As we speak I had to switch to an old airlock and add a blowoff because I got so much activity it clogged the airlock. So just goes to show its not a worry to be had. Hope this sets your mind at ease.

having bubbles is a false sense of security. By this I mean, bubbles doesn't always equal fermentation and fermentation doesn't always equal bubbles. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine. After about a week or 2 check the gravity over a couple of days and if its within recipe range and stable then you are done. I switched to a water trap type airlock (think how a toilet works) and that bad boy had not bubbled once the past 3 beers, BUT! I still had fermentation and made beer. As we speak I had to switch to an old airlock and add a blowoff because I got so much activity it clogged the airlock. So just goes to show its not a worry to be had. Hope this sets your mind at ease.

It def does set my mind at ease. I forgot to
Mention I have used blowoff tube and same thing happened. What is that water trap type airlock you mentioned?

I'm no expert but the Big Mouth Bubbler screw on lid does not always seal well. I did the same soapy water leak check and it passed but when I used some sanitized plastic wrap (Press and Seal works the best) over the Bubbler opening before screwing on the lid my airlock started bubbling away. I did punch a hole in the plastic wrap in the vicinity of the airlock.

Latest posts

Back