fermenting a wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

go_inbroke

Reaction score
I'm going to start a NB Bavarian Hefe in the morning. The instructions call for only a primary fermentation of two weeks. How long can I let this sit on the trub in primary? I would like to go three maybe four weeks. Has anyone let it sit this long in primary? I don't plan to use a secondary.

Do it. No problem whatsoever, no need for secondary. I let all my beers sit on the trub that long, including hefes. Just keep in mind that hefe is meant to be consumed fairly fresh.

Consumption is not a problem...Most batches gone within six weeks. I am chasing my thermometer around my 130 year old basement to find a spot about 63 degrees. I hope this is cool enough to produce the fruitiness.

I got a blonde that I started the first weekend in December and left it in my fermenting chamber at 63 for 10 days then took it out for 2 weeks while I was on vacation. Came home after Christmas and sanitized bottles expecting to bottle only to open a bucket with krausen on top. Needless to say it sat another week and now its sitting on 3 lbs of raspberries.

Consumption is not a problem...Most batches gone within six weeks. I am chasing my thermometer around my 130 year old basement to find a spot about 63 degrees. I hope this is cool enough to produce the fruitiness.

According to Brewing Classic Styles, 62F is optimal. I have found this to be true as well. At 63 ambient, your fermentation could get up to 68 which will still make a nice beer but is a touch high.

I've found a spot about 59-60. Range of yeast (Danstar Munich Wheat Beer)
is listed at 55-66. Well away from furnace and should be real consistent.

At 63 ambient, your fermentation could get up to 68 which will still make a nice beer but is a touch high.

Not for a hefe. I ferment mine at 68 and they come out great. I've been thinking of going a little warmer, like 70, to bring out more banana esters. I know a lot of German breweries use 63-65 but I find the banana esters too reduced at those temps with all the german hefe yeast strains I've used.

Rev.

Not for a hefe. I ferment mine at 68 and they come out great. I've been thinking of going a little warmer, like 70, to bring out more banana esters. I know a lot of German breweries use 63-65 but I find the banana esters too reduced at those temps with all the german hefe yeast strains I've used. Rev.

What strain are you using? Wife doesnt care much for the bubble-gum esters that show up with warm ferments, trying to find a nice middle ground.

Wyeast 3068 and 3638 - I like both but I prefer the 3638. I primarily ferment at 68 for a good balance. I've had one using 3068 recently ferment between 64-66 and it came out ok but somewhat lacked the ester profile I like and more accentuated the wheat. Again, that's perfectly fine, I just like a bit more ester production. I also always pitch the one pack of Wyeast Activator with no starter for my wheats.

Oh, and at 68 I don't have any bubblegum esters with those strains personally.

Rev.

Holy Crap Batman....After 28 hrs in the bucket the fermentation became noticeable. By noticeable I mean I experienced my first blow off. I had to engineer a quick stopper and tube. I had no idea that would happen so quickly after fermentation starts. How long do I need to keep this rig together before putting the plastic water valve back in?

Not for a hefe. I ferment mine at 68 and they come out great. I've been thinking of going a little warmer, like 70, to bring out more banana esters. I know a lot of German breweries use 63-65 but I find the banana esters too reduced at those temps with all the german hefe yeast strains I've used.

Rev.

Well that's your personal preference then (which is great) but is not the standard. I try to make recommendations based on tried and true standards and let people tweak to their personal taste on their own.

Holy Crap Batman....After 28 hrs in the bucket the fermentation became noticeable. By noticeable I mean I experienced my first blow off. I had to engineer a quick stopper and tube. I had no idea that would happen so quickly after fermentation starts. How long do I need to keep this rig together before putting the plastic water valve back in?

Until the Krausen starts to fall. Or you can leave it on for the duration. Just don't cold crash with the blowoff as it will suck up all of the liquid.

Took off the blow off last night...I'm still getting movement through the airlock. Once per minute. Temp is 63 degrees.

Well that's your personal preference then (which is great) but is not the standard. I try to make recommendations based on tried and true standards and let people tweak to their personal taste on their own.

Didn't see this until now but nice attitude there - "tried and true standards" like my opinion is irrelevant :rolleyes: Just an FYI, Wyeast themselves recommend Wyeast 3068 and 3638 fermentation range at "64-75° F (18-24° C)". Sorry if 68 sounds unreasonable to you but it's not and it only depends on the phenol/ester balance you want.

Rev.

Didn't see this until now but nice attitude there - "tried and true standards" like my opinion is irrelevant :rolleyes: Just an FYI, Wyeast themselves recommend Wyeast 3068 and 3638 fermentation range at "64-75° F (18-24° C)". Sorry if 68 sounds unreasonable to you but it's not and it only depends on the phenol/ester balance you want.

Rev.

I meant no offense and didn't mean to make your opinion sound irrelevant. Just that if you want it to taste like an authentic German Hefe, 62 is the way to go. If you want it more estery/phenolic, then power to you.

Popped a bottle today....clean with banana, good carb for only one week in the bottle. Good beer! Cloudy amber in color. Looking forward to one more in 7 more days of bottle conditioning. Thanks for the help!

Bottoms up and bubbles down!

Back