Fermenting a Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobski911

Reaction score
Just wondering what process you guys use when fermenting a Baltic porter. I've used US-23 lager yeast a few times for a baltic porter, and always tried to keep it at 15c through the fermentation. After letting it sit in secondary for 6 weeks in the cool basement it was finished and tasted great. But now I got a fermentation chamber and wonder if there is really any need to lager? What process do you guys use for Baltic porters? Thanks

I was just pondering whether or not I could use White Labs Calif Lager yeast (WKP810? Anchor steam California common ale yeast) for a Baltic porter ... Lager yeast at ale temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have brewed a few Baltic Porters. I use Wyeast 2112. I ferment around 59-60 F for a week or until the krausen starts to fall then do a D-rest at 68+ for a week. I then transfer to secondary and lager for about 2-4 months at 34-36 F. Depending on how big of a hurry I am to drink it.

I love this beer! It's like drinking chocolate milk with a kick.

I was just pondering whether or not I could use White Labs Calif Lager yeast (WKP810? Anchor steam California common ale yeast) for a Baltic porter ... Lager yeast at ale temps?

I've made a Baltic porter with ale yeast a few times but prefer lager yeast. The ale yeast causes the beer to have a sharp bite instead of a smooth taste/feel.

With temp control, I do the quick lager process... For most lagers, this is my schedule:
11C 3 days, 12C 2 days, 13C 2 days, 14C 2 days, 15C 2 days, 16C 2 days, 17C 2 days;
keg, carb, condition for 2 weeks before first pour. It does improve with a couple extra weeks beyond that.

For Baltics, I actually start at 12C (~54F):
12C 3 days, 13C 2 days, 14C 2 days, 15C 2 days, 16C 2 days, 17C 2 days;
keg, carb, condition for 2 weeks.

I've got a cheapo PID that only works in whole degrees centigrade, so its reaaallll easy to just bump it 1C every other day.

Hey Thanks guys!
Weezy, I have kind done the same. I fermented at 12 for 2 weeks, then slowly raised the temp up to 18c, and left it at 18 for two days. Then I started to drop the temp again but noticed still some krausen on top. This one is taking a while to finish. OG was 1.100

I guess my big question would be, how much of a difference would lagering have on a porter. And by lagering, I mean lagering at as cool as 4c for a period of time. As you would do with a traditional lager?

Thanks

Just the way you're thinking is right IMO. I don't think you want a Baltic especially clean, like a German lager. The beer is traditionally rough and complex.

THREAD REVIVE! wouuuh! (Instead of starting a new conversation):

So, not sure if I made a mistake or not, but my Baltic has been in fermentation for 10 days now. Used S-23 yeast. I followed the recipe on HomeBrewersAss., which said:
"Ferment at 61°F (16°C) in primary one week, lager in secondary for six weeks at 35°F (1.7°C)."

Which is kinda what I did, not thinking about the recipe is using a different yeast.... I did 1 week at 61F, then I am now at 4 days at 55F... I was planning on doing another week at 55F, then rack to secondary and drop to 35F...... Is my plan OK or I already made a booboo by fermenting that high?

Thanks!

Back