Fermenter temperature - 42 hours in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northwest does ok at 72 degrees- I've actually tried to get my fermentations up to that area when I've used it. You should be fine regardless. The most important time for temperature control is at the beginning, during active fermentation. That's when weird flavors can be produced from stressed yeast and/or high fermentation temperatures. It should be fine!

Great! That helps put my worries at ease a bit (not that I am stressed out or anything lol).

Watch as Craig pitches the yeast at 85F. No cooling bath. He's making a Cooper's kit using the yeast that came with the kit. Fast forward to the 4 min mark.

Cooper's is from Australia. I wonder the yeast strain has adapted to the hotter climate. I started brewing with a Cooper's kit. Looking at the directions it actually says to go ahead and pitch the yeast when the temperature is under 90F, so that the fermentation can get going before an infection starts. My first batch ever, I pitched even hotter then that. (I think it was around (93F-96F). I'm not recommending these practices. I just found that this is a very forgiving stain of yeast, mainly from my mistakes as a newbie.

<sarcasm>

And remember mate, 90F is for ales. For lagers you have to get your wort really cold, down to 75F - 80F.

</sarcasm>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that picture's pretty embarassing. I am constantly running behind on laundry.

Is that a trash can in that picture? That's a nice idea.

I think my next brew is going to be a Grand Cru with Wit yeast from Papazian's book. Something where the esters from low 70s fermentation will be more desirable...if that makes sense.

That video is classic. I'm sure all of us have a few less than ideal conditions, but we don't make instructional videos showing them.

The yeast probably didn't mind the 85 degree wort, it was probably a nice cool environment for them after coming out of his pants pocket which was probably close to body temperature.

He runs the cooling water in from a cut off piece of garden hose, which may be leaching some nasty chemicals from the materials used in making the hose. The water is not boiled to sanitize it.

He never seems to sanitize, or re-sanitize his hands, although he handles several things that go into the wort with them. His aeration involves about 3 minutes of stirring the wort, somewhat less than vigorously. Finally he grabs the scissors to open the yeast from the top of the TV stand.

Just goes to show that beer can be quite forgiving.

So I bought a new garbage can today and a 15 pack case of water bottles. I'm going to alternate the water bottles in and out of the freezer to keep the temperature as low as possible. I have an extra large t-shirt from a charity walk - my fermenter's wearing the shirt as a wick. I hope this is the solution - and if it is, I don't know what I'd do without this forum. Thanks so much for all the help!

It's working! But, after about 7-8 hours in the mid 60s, it starts to warm up again. Spent the weekend with my girlfriend, and when I got home, it was back in the 70s (the water/ice bath, that is). I'm putting my beer through some big temperature swings as a result. Is this going to cause any problems? Primary fermentation's all done.

It's working! But, after about 7-8 hours in the mid 60s, it starts to warm up again. Spent the weekend with my girlfriend, and when I got home, it was back in the 70s (the water/ice bath, that is). I'm putting my beer through some big temperature swings as a result. Is this going to cause any problems? Primary fermentation's all done.

You are worrying WAAAAAYYYYYY to much about this stuff...you did the basictemp control...it's really only cruscial for the first couple days....

You're fine.....the yeast are pretty resiliant..

ANd how do you know primary fermentation is done? Did you take 2 hydro readings over 3 days to see if the grav has changed? Or are you judging by airlcok bubbles (that's NOT a good thing to do) Besides don't be too rushed to do anything to the beer...the yeasts have plenty to do after they eat all the sugars...they like to go around a eat all the by products of fermentation that can cause off flavors (such as from too high of a fermentation temp) :D

If you give them enough time to do so (many of us leave our beers alone for 3-4 weeks, skip secondary then bottle), you'll let them go the extra mile...as it is, if you chose to secondary...wait at least 10 to 14 days before doing so...again to let the yeast work....

If I do secondary, which I do only if I am adding fruit, oak or dry hopping (though many do that in primary now) or plan on a greater than 2 week bulk aging time, I do it on the 14th day....

But if you chose 3-4 weeks, you can usually skip secondary and will find your beer is actually clearer and crisper tasting.

:mug:

Fair enough! My hydro reading is about 1.015 - a little higher than the expected FG. But I'm going by the krausen disappearing. It was pretty intense for a few days - thank god for the blow off tube - and that's over. I'm leaving it in the primary, don't have a secondary fermentation vessel yet.

Coincidentally, I didn't smell much banana/bubblegum when I took my hydro reading. When I took a hydro for a weizen at 72, it was banana overload. Dunno if that's encouraging or if I'm thinking too much.

One of the hardest parts of this hobby is learning not to worry or jump to conclusions :D

Arizona heat makes it tough here in the summer, ambient house temp is around 81. I started following the basic method of putting it in a bucket, except i use the spare bath tub, easy to turn the shower on and water down everything so the shirts wrapped on buckets are always evently damp especailly since my drain has a slow leak. (i put a little tin foil 'hat' on the airlock to ensure it doesn't overflow with added water.)

I keep 2 1 gallon frozen water jugs and a small frozen water bottle that I switch out daily at lunch time (so a total of 4 1 gallon jugs and 2 small water bottle, so i can just switch out from freezer quickly). I place the frozen jugs right up on the fermenters (currently have two brews fermenting so they are sandwich in between the ferementors. I also pour ice onto the top of the bucket and just let it naturally melt away.

This method reduced my average temp to 68 from 84. Perfect no, but I will someday get a fridge or something, but for now it is a relatively easy setup in the tub, since draining it is very easy and it is out of the way.

Back