Fermenter in 78F closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sflabrew

Reaction score
I have had a red ale in my primary since noon on Sunday. It has been fermenting at about 72F because it is in a closet in my place in LA in August. But yesterday it got warmer here. My closet got up to 78F so I quickly put glasses full of ice in there to cool it down before I left for work this morning. It was down to 75 before I left. The air lock was a slow bubble at this point.

Should I be concerned with the yeast dying? Getting off flavors? The yeast had been doing it's job really well up to this morning. Monday and Tuesday the air lock was bubbling super fast. So maybe this is the time for it to mellow anyway. The yeast was White Labs California Ale 001 that I had repitched from a blonde to an IPA and then repitched to this red.

What do you guys think?

What do I think? I think you might want to investigate using a "Swamp Cooler" if you want to brew in the summer heat. 72F ambient is pretty high. Most of the damage, if there is any, is done by now. The beer temp can range up to 8F over ambient during primary fermentation depending on the beer & yeast. Those high temps will create esters & fusel alcohol. Cheers!!

hamiltont is correct. The yeast won't be dying at that temp. They actually like that temp. However, they will start producing "off-flavors" above 70-75 (depends on the yeast strain too). Keep in mind that some beers require these off-flavors for their style requirements. But most do not.

Whatever the yeast strain, you will do better to keep it in the lower range for that yeast. For most yeast this will be 62-65 ish.

I brewed for a while without understanding the impact fermentation temps have on final beer flavor. I cannot stress enough how much cleaner and bright a good fermentation can produce. Unfortunately, until I get a fermentation chamber built, I have to keep my stout and blonde in the bedroom, where the air conditioner is. Unfortunate because now the wife is wearing a sweatshirt to bed!

Also, it's most important to keep the temps down during the initial hard fermentation. After that, you can raise it up until the yeast has done all of it's job. But those first few days to a week or so will really matter the most.

Back