Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
This question has probably already been answered but couldn't find...

I have a wheat beer in a glas carboy as a primary. My first experience using carboy as the primary. Anyway it developed a good head right away, and it's about 2 inches high now on day 2 of fermentation. But the airlock hasbn't bubbled at all. The krausen's growth has stopped, but it's remaing at the same height and seems to be holding well.

1. Should I assume the lack of airlock bubbles means nothing, and why?

2. When does one consider checking gravity in my case? Wait til krausen starts to drop? Any other signs? It is a wheat beer and I've heard fermentation is fast.

Seems a little odd that your airlock wouldn't have bubbled at all during that vigorous a fermentation. Two things to check: is there enough liquid in the airlock? and is the seal tight between the stopper and airlock? It's also possible that the majority of your primary fermentation completed in the first two days, and maybe you just missed the bubbling?

In any case, no need for worry. I'd wait until 1 week to check the gravity. It may be done already, but you wouldn't want to move it before then anyway.

Bike N Brew said:
Seems a little odd that your airlock wouldn't have bubbled at all during that vigorous a fermentation. Two things to check: is there enough liquid in the airlock? and is the seal tight between the stopper and airlock? It's also possible that the majority of your primary fermentation completed in the first two days, and maybe you just missed the bubbling?

In any case, no need for worry. I'd wait until 1 week to check the gravity. It may be done already, but you wouldn't want to move it before then anyway.

When I brewed using a plastic 5-gallon fermenter and an airlock I got bubbles for a few days. But with the new 6.5 gal glass carboy, I saw active fermentation via krausen but no bubbles came into the airlock. Is it possible it's due to the space between the krausen and the head of the carboy?

Also, when I jammed the airlock into the plastic fermenter you could really feel it seal right up. But the rubber set up on the carboy feels more like it "sits" on the top of the carboy. I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't "feel" nearly as airtight as those plastic covers on the plastic fermenters do.

No, it's not possible that the headspace pressurized and nothing escaped. Something is amiss with your airlock or bung.

FlyGuy said:
No, it's not possible that the headspace pressurized and nothing escaped. Something is amiss with your airlock or bung.

I was actually only about 1/4 filled with vodka in my airlock....just filled up to halfway and some bubbles are escaping now. Could that have been it, or do you think the bubbles now are just a result of re-plugging the airlock?

Yep, there was gas escaping the whole time. You just needed to fill up the airlock a bit more. And cheap vodka is a really good idea for liquid in the airlock!

Back