Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runswithlightning

Reaction score
Did my first all grain and was just wondering if fermentation time is any different than extract. How long should a 5 gallon batch typically ferment for?

You should leave it in the primary for at least 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, bottles 3 weeks. Or, better yet, leave it in primary for 3 weeks or longer and then bottle.

There shouldn't be any real difference between AG and extract fermentation times. By the time it's wort, it's all the same, whether you mashed it or a maltster did it for you. Based, of course, on your OG. The krausen on my AG batches falls in 5-7 days, but the yeast are still hard at work cleaning up and refining the beer.

I theory there should be no difference. However as you are creating your own extract, you have control over how much fermentables are in your brew. So your fermentation might take slightly less time as you mashed high and have less fermentable sugar or slightly longer as you mash low and made more fermentable sugar.

That said the time between these two variations would hardly be noticed compared to the other variables such as size of starter, freshness of yeast and oxygenation of the wort etc etc.

My latest brew that was mashed a little high 157 fermented out in 60hrs. It still has a krausen but the SG reading has stabilized at 1014 (from 1064), so don't be fooled into thinking that because you still have krausen and bubbling airlock that it is still fermenting. Chances are it is all done and it is just excess CO2 coming out of solution. That said, I will be leaving it in the primary for another week or so to condition (yeast clean up) and to allow the trub that gets disturbed by the yeast's CO2 action to settle out and to let the dry hops to give all their flavor but the act of fermenting is all done.

Clem

There are many different styles of beer to generalize them into a single fermentation schedule. The best answer is to learn the fermentation schedule for whatever style you are brewing.

That said, I tend to generalize Pale Ales into a 3 week primary fermentation, then a few days of cold crashing, then 3 weeks in keg or bottle. They may, or not, start to taste better over the next few weeks.

For IPAs and Wheat beers, generally I like to ferment for 2-3 weeks and then bottle and drink as soon as they are carbed, and I have always found them to be better after a few weeks, YMMV.

For smaller beers, like a mild, 2 weeks is plenty. Carb and drink right away.

For stronger beers, I might ferment in primary for 3-6 weeks, then secondary for however long I felt like, before bottling. Or just primary for 6 weeks and condition in the bottle for 6 months to a year or more.

I think the most important things to remember about fermentation is to get the temp correct and consistent for the yeast you are using, aerate well, pitch the appropriate amount, and protect from O2 when handling your fermenting/fermented wort. As long as you allow the beer to ferment completely, the precise schedule it not nearly as important as the other things IMO.

Back