Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyH

Reaction score
My porter is fermenting really good now. I got home from work and the temp in my house was 75. I have placed semifrozen towels around the carboy to help bring down the temp.. If the temp gets above 75 will this kill my batch or what?

Did the beer get to 75 or just your house? Try to bring it down slowly if it did, too fast and you will crash out your yeast. If it did get that warm you will have kicked off some fusel alcohols which will in turn generate some esters. In a porter the esters should be masked pretty well by the roasted malts. As well, you can produce diacetyls at warmer temps, let your beer sit on the yeast cake for a few weeks after fermentation stops so that the yeast can clear the diacetyl out...if it too much was produced the yeast won't clean it all the way, but it will be better than not giving them a chance by tossing the beer into a bottle or a secondary.

My house temp was 75 and the fishtank thermomter was reading 75/74 on the carboy. I placed wet towels on the carboy. I got the temp back down to 73 after about 4 hours or so. I plan racking to a second fermentor after the fermentation is complete to let it settle out. I think it will turn out fine. May have rig up some kind cooling system until I can get a second fridge if I am plan to continue to make 2 batches a month.

Don't put it into a secondary, let it age on the yeast. If the temp rose early enough in the fermentation process you will have kicked off some off flavors, some of which the yeast can absorb and help clean up. As well, a secondary has little useful application other than giving yourself more work, more chance of infection, and a beer that is not as clean tasting. If you read my above post pay attention to the part about diacetyl...

Got it, I will wait a few weeks after fermentation before I bottle. What part of Washington are you from? I was stationed a Bangor for alittle while. Got my brewing kit from Olympic of Homebrew in Bremerton.

Back