Fermentation time when cutting a recipe in half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdsharpe85

Reaction score
I am somewhat new to the forum and the brewing process but I was wondering how fermentation time was effected by decreasing the size of the batch.

I have been brewing extract recipes for 5 gallon batches but recently found a sweet potato ale recipe that I only want to brew about 2.5 gallons of (half batch).

So to reiterate the question I have is when cutting the recipe and amount of ingredients to yield a half of a batch is there time cut from the fermentation periods? If so how much?

Thanks a lot in advance.

If your pitching rate and temperatures, etc are the same, fermentation time should be the same. The wort is at the same concentration regardless of the total volume.

Your yeast pitch rate will have more to do with your fermentation time than cutting your batch size.

So, if you want to cut down time pitch more yeast.

I never cut my fermentation time down when doing small batches. I figure the yeast still need the same amount of time to their thing no matter the size of the batch. Just make sure you are calculating the right amount of yeast starter for the size of the batch.

Back