Fermentation -- Time Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
Gearing up for my first brew this weekend, but now I'm concerned about timing. I'm targeting either Friday or Saturday for my brew. Now if I start the fermentation process on either of those days I'll need at least 7 days right?

The problem: I'm scheduled to be away a week from next Friday.

That gives me 7 days at most or 6 days at worst...and then I'd need to hustle to get everything into the bottling bucket.

Is this cutting it too close?

Thanks

If I was you, depending on how low you're going to be gone I would leave it. I leave everything at least 2 weeks in primary. If it's a recipe with a lot of germ tables I'll go long. I just did a pumpkin pie ale I plan on leaving for a month in primary.

Likely cutting it too close.
It's possible for the fermentation to be done by then, depending on the yeast you're using and the temperature and other factors, but ultimately, your yeast will do its thing and take the time it needs. You should be ready to bottle anywhere between 5 days and 4 weeks. That said, leaving it a little longer in the fermenter won't hurt it - if it's done after 2 weeks and you don't get around to bottle it until 3 weeks, that should still be fine, for example.

Definitely do not expect to bottle after 7 days. If it's not fully fermented by then, you might face bottle bombs. Let the yeast do its thing and ensure that it's done using hydrometer readings: take one, and then 3 days later another. If they match and are close to your expected FG, you're ready to bottle. not before.

I'd say you're fine to brew. Be around for the first couple days, just in case there's a blow off or anything. After a week, there likely won't be a risk for that anymore, and you can safely go wherever you need to go, leave it alone for a week, and return and be ready to bottle.

Let me add a little more info:

1) Time away: I'm only taking the weekend. So, if I brew this Saturday, I'd essentially be leaving on day 6 of fermenting, would be back on day 8, and realistically, could bottle on Monday, day 9.

I guess a key question I have is, is there any risk in letting it sit for a couple days? Even if it needs only 6 or 7 days?

2) I'm brewing a white IPA with:

* Grains: Flaked wheat, Rahr Row, Flaked oats
* Malt Extract: Briess, Pilsen Light LME, Briess Wheat DME
* Hops CTZ Pellets, Cascade Pellets, Citra Pellets
* Yeast: Fermentis SafAle US-05

You could leave it in there for a month and no harm would be done.

Ok, it's not the leaving it in there that's a potential problem.

The problem is an impatient brewer and futzing around before its time.

If that's the case, it would seem it would be ok for me to go away for a weekend...and drink beer...and then potentially come home and bottle my IPA if it's ready.

Check the SG after two weeks in the primary. Dry hop a few days later if the SG is stable. You can't rush the yeast in doing their job. Extra time in the primary does not create any problems.

Just leave it in the bucket/carboy while you are gone, then when you come back check the gravity. One week is cutting a little short for bottling, probably would create bottle bombs! In fact I would give it an extra week for the yeast to clean up the beer. Even though the main fermenting might be done and your airlock might not show any activity, the yeast are still cleaning up the beer. Relax, give it time. Looks like you are brewing a wheat beer, so it might still be a little cloudy when you get back, that is normal and typically for a wheat beer. It will still be a good beer when you get back. In fact that is what I am drinking now!

Longer is almost always better than short. A day too short could cause bottle bombs. A month or two long will not harm anything, as long as everything is sanitary.

Learn to relax. No reason to rush it and plenty of reasons not to rush bottling including the bottle bomb problem raised by kh54s10. In addition, specific gravity readings are a better judge of when fermentation has ended than calendar days.

Longer is better...brew your beer, pitch your yeast and do what you need to do...come back and bottle or keg, and you will have crystal clear, extremely fresh tastiong beer. Most of my beers stay a minimum of 1 month in primary...

Excellent.

With this question out of the way, it's all systems go for my first brew either Friday or Saturday.

Prepare for some final stupid questions!

Thanks all.

You want to check your fermenter the firts 4 to 5 days of pitching. To make sure you fermenting temp is fine and you dont have a blowout. After primary fermentation you can leave it for a while. You just want you temprature to be stable from then on. While new to brewing you want to have wort on yeast bed for at least 2 weeks. With experience, right pitch rate and temp control you can go from gran to bottle under 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back